About the Health System
Four stories from UC Davis Health System
From research and education to clinical care and community engagement, here are four brief stories about the people, patients and generous supporters of UC Davis Health System.
UC Davis Health System is improving lives and transforming health care by providing excellent patient care, conducting groundbreaking research, fostering innovative, interprofessional education, and creating dynamic, productive partnerships with the community.
The health system is a major driver of economic prosperity in Sacramento region and Northern California, generating more than $3.4 billion in annual economic output and more than 20,000 jobs. For every employee or dollar of output directly supported by health system operations, the Northern California economy gains an additional 1.1 jobs or $1.10 of output, respectively. Read more about economic impact.
As the region's only academic health center, UC Davis Health System is focused on discovering and sharing knowledge and providing the highest quality of care. The health system is a hub of innovation that encompasses UC Davis Medical Center, UC Davis School of Medicine, The Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing at UC Davis and UC Davis Medical Group. Read more about these entities below.
Creating a healthier world through bold innovation — UC Davis Health System vision
UC Davis Medical Center
UC Davis Medical Center, based in Sacramento, California, is a nationally renowned academic medical center where clinical practice, teaching and research converge to advance human health.
A few highlights about the medical center:
- A 619-bed multispecialty academic medical center
- Serves 33 counties covering a 65,000-square-mile area north to the Oregon border and east to Nevada
- Recognized as one of the “Most Wired” hospitals in the U.S.
- Recognized by The Leapfrog Group as a “Top Hospital” for delivery of high-quality care
- Ranked Sacramento's top hospital by U.S. News & World Report
Centers of excellence include:
- UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center, one of only 41 National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive centers nationwide
- State-of-the-art emergency departments that include the region's only Level I adult and pediatric trauma centers
- The internationally recognized UC Davis MIND Institute, devoted to finding treatments and cures for neurodevelopmental disorders
- UC Davis Children's Hospital, a nationally ranked pediatric hospital with more than 120 physicians in 33 pediatric subspecialties
- A pioneering telehealth program, which gives remote, underserved communities access to academic specialty and subspecialty care
To learn more, visit the medical center site.
UC Davis School of Medicine
UC Davis School of Medicine is one of the nation's leading medical schools, recognized for its research and primary-care programs. Ranked 34th in National Institutes of Health funding in 2013, it is designated as one of the nation’s inaugural Clinical Translational Science Centers.
- A national reputation for life-changing biomedical discoveries
- A passion for clinical care and a commitment to engaging people from underserved communities and advancing rural health
- Fully accredited master’s degree programs in public health and in informatics
- A combined M.D.-Ph.D. program that is training the next generation of physician-scientists to conduct high-impact research and translate discoveries into better clinical care
To learn more, visit the medical school site.
Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing at UC Davis
The Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing at UC Davis is the sixth professional school at UC Davis, joining nationally recognized programs in medicine, veterinary medicine, law, business and education, and a proposed School of Public Health.
A few facts about the school:
- Established in March 2009 with a $100 million commitment from the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, the nation’s largest grant for nursing education
- Admitted its first classes for the Master of Science and the Doctor of Philosophy degree programs in fall 2010
- Recently added master’s degrees for nurse practitioners and physician assistants, with a focus on preparing primary-care providers for rural and underserved communities
- When full enrollment is reached in all degree programs, the school is projected to serve 450 students
The vision of the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing is to advance health and ignite leadership through innovative education, transformative research and bold system change. The school cultivates academic excellence and addresses urgent, societal needs through leadership development, interprofessional education, transformative research, cultural inclusiveness and innovative technology
To learn more, visit the nursing school's site.
UC Davis Medical Group
UC Davis Medical Group is a 1,000-member physician group offering nationally-renowned primary care and specialty expertise in more than 150 areas of health care.
- Physician offices in Sacramento and in nine other communities around the region, from Auburn to Elk Grove to Davis
- Accepts most major health plans
- Same- and next-day appointments for urgent care
- Many offices offer on-site or telehealth consultation with UC Davis Medical Center specialists
- Online communication with your doctor's office
To learn more, visit the medical group site or call 800-2-UCDAVIS (800-282-3284).