Experienced micro-surgery personnel at your disposal:
- Reduce animal use for research with high surgery success rate by handling animals professionally;
- Quick adoption of new animal models and keep the techniques at UC Davis;
- “In-house” Surgical Support - surgeon can perform surgeries in the surgical suite or preparation room in the vivarium where animals are located to reduce animal transfer, avoid potential cross contaminations and stress on animals from transportation.
- Provide training courses for microsurgery (specialize in rodent surgeries). Services or procedures for genetic or created rodent models. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- vascular or non-vascular implants (blood pressure telemetry, infusion pump and vascular access port...etc.)
- soft tissue procedures (adrenalectomy, 5/6 nephrectomy and splenectomy…etc.)
- neurological procedures (microdialysis probe implantation, middle cerebral artery occlusion (MCAO), and 3rd ventricular cannulation…etc.)
- cardiovascular procedures (left coronary artery ligation, transverse aortic constriction (TAC) and thoracic aortic banding…etc)
- device implants, and customized procedures
- Facilitate funded projects with affordable and good quality microsurgery services;
- Facilitate funding applications by generating useful preliminary animal data at an affordable price;
- Back-up microsurgery support for grant applications (collaborate on projects);
- Facilitate applications to the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC);
- Surgery facility and staff are local… we are in Tupper Hall, UC Davis.
How MicroSurgery Core differs from Campus Veterinary Services
MicroSurgery Core provides professional microsurgery services for rodent models, while Campus veterinary services provide general health care and deals with USDA animals. MicroSurgery Core can deploy surgeons to Principal Investigator’s vivarium to conduct surgeries if animal transfer is not feasible. With Campus Veterinary Services Animals have to be transferred to the Campus Veterinary Services location for surgeries.
Equipment at the MicroSurgery Core
- Two fully functional dual-surgeon surgical stations.
- Carl Zeiss surgical microscopes X 3,
- Leica portable surgical microscope X 1,
- Small animal and rodent anesthesia machine X 2,
- Magnifying surgical loupes X 2 ,
- Bipolar micro-cauterizer X 3,
- Glass beads sterilizer X 2,
- Body temperature monitors X 2,
- Water circulating heating system X 2,
- Laser doppler velocimetry X 2,
- Rodent ventilator X 2,
- Physiological Monitoring system (Heart Rate, SpO2, Respiratory Rate) X 1,
- ECG monitor and recording system X 2,
- Digital recording and demonstration system X 1,
- Intravascular blood pressure measurement system X 1, and
- Complete instrument sets for general or microsurgery X 2.