Welcome to the UC Learning Center
In an effort to provide assistance with the university's Learning Management System (LMS), UC Learning Center, CPPN has developed directions for performing various tasks and addressing common issues.
Accessing UC Learning Center
UC Learning Center can be accessed from work or home by typing http://lms.ucdavis.edu into the address bar. For best results, open Internet Explorer from your desktop. Note: UC Learning Center cannot be accessed via Citrix. A Kerberos account is required, if you do not have a Kerberos account, click "Get my Kerberos account" on the right. Adobe Flash Player 11 is also required to access eLearning. Check your version on the right.
Fix site display problems with Compatibility View
Sometimes websites don't look like you expect them to–images might not appear, menus might be out of place, and text could be jumbled together. If you are running a new version of Internet Explorer (IE 9, IE 10 or IE 11), you will need to add sumtotalsystems.com to your Compatibility View list. Please refer to the Microsoft support page for directions.
Registering for Learning Activities
- Search for the Learning Activity using the Search feature, or locate it using the Catalog.
- Within the Search Results, click on the class you wish to register for.
- Click on the Register button.
- Choose one or more class offerings from the list of available dates, then click on the Submit button.
- A confirmation page will display confirming your registration.
Canceling a Registration
- In the Current Registration list (located in the left-hand menu), click on the course you'd like to cancel registration for or click "more".
- Select the course(s) you wish to cancel and click "Go" next to Cancel Registration.
- Review the checked courses on the confirmation page, then click on Cancel Marked to confirm your cancellation.
Searching for an Activity
To use the search function, enter the search criteria in the Search box located in the upper-left hand corner of the home page, then click Go. Searching by the course # is the most effective method for locating a specific course. In addition to the basic search functionality, UC Learning Center provides advanced searching capabilities. Please refer to the search guide (PDF) for more information.
The date and time of the class are cleary displayed but not the location. To find the location, click on the class link (this will appear above your To Do box if it is the next class in your schedule). Otherwise click Other Actions > View Activity Details. Under More Information, click Summary, then click Expand All. The location is displayed under Additional Information.
Printing a Certificate
To print a certificate of completion, click on Training Transcript under Quick Links on your home page. Click the diploma icon next to the activity name. For best results, change the paper orientation to landscape in the print properties of your Web browser.
Printing C.E. Transcript
To print a transcript of your continuing education, click Training Transcript under Quick Links on your home page. Change the View in the upper-right hand corner from Standard to Continuing Education. Export to PDF and save or print.
Mosby Skills require Internet Explorer to record completion properly. If the Mosby Skills are not recording your completion and you are using Internet Explorer, you may need to add elsevierperformancemanager.com to your compatibility view list (see Fix site display problems with Compatibility View above). You may go directly to the Mosby Skills website and add this to your compatibility view settings or copy and paste the address above.
Browser compatibility check
Many eLearning activities require using Internet Explorer and software such as Adobe Flash Player and Java to function properly. Each activity/vendor will have their their own requirements. Having your system up to date will ensure a smoother experience. You may run the HealthStream browser check or the Skillsoft browser check to ensure your system meets the minimum requirements.
Updating your E-mail address
Your e-mail address is populated from the UC Davis Directory. To update your e-mail address in UC Learning Center, open the UC Davis Directory and click on update my directory listing. You will be required to log in using your Kerberos log in. Once the UC Davis Directory is updated, the information will be updated into UC Learning Center the following day.
The Online TAF is the beginning of a process created to grant various constituents (visiting faculty, concurrent students, vendors, and others) access to UC Davis computer resources. By registering for temporary access, the affiliate will have access to our network, a ucdavis.edu e-mail address, and a unique username and password which will be used to verify identity and enable subsequent access privileges to various parts of our network.
This process is managed internally by the online application routing information to the proper individual at the appropriate time in the Online TAF sequence. At each step, there is an opportunity to leave a message for the next person in the process. These comments are included in both an email to the next person in the process as well as in a confirmation email sent to the individual completing the latest step.
Once the TAF process is complete, affiliates will be eligible to gain access to UC Learning Center by submitting a CPPN UCLC Access Form (XLS) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure the TAF is complete prior to submitting the Excel spreadsheet to CPPN by logging into http://taf.ucdavis.edu and verifying the status for each affiliate. The TAF process will go through the following steps:
- Affiliate Completion Pending
- Sponsor Approval Pending
- Dept. Approval Pending
The LMS account creation process is dependant upon a completed TAF. The affiliates LMS account will be created with the information provided in the spreadsheet. For questions or issues regarding the TAF process, please call IT Express at (530) 754-HELP. For any questions regarding an affiliates LMS account, please contact CPPN at email@example.com.
- Re-Walk the Lines: Preventing Medication Errors has been assigned to all inpatient RNs. This module will help to improve the safety of IV medication administration via secondary or piggyback infusion method; educate nurses on the risks associated with IV piggyback infusion method; heighten awareness of the importance of always performing a visual check when starting a secondary line to ensure that it is infusing properly (i.e., roller clamp is open, connection is not faulty; etc.) before proceeding to other tasks. [05/21/2014]
- Venous thromboembolism (VTE) is a disease process that includes Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) and Pulmonary Embolism (PE). VTE is common problem in hospitalized patients that can lead to morbidity, death, and higher health care costs. Inpatient RNs are required to complete the assigned training module. [4/8/2014]
- The Accu-Chek Inform II module and checklist is now available and has been assigned to staff. This replaces the previous Accu-Check module and checklist. If your unit does not have the Accu-Chek Inform II, you may complete the module and wait to complete the checklist until your unit receives the Accu-Chek Inform II. [3/28/2014]
- On March 12, 2014, UC Davis Medical Center will begin a quality improvement initiative in order to reduce the incidence of C. difficile infections. RNs caring for adult, nonobstetric patients will begin screening patients for asymptomatic colonization of C. difficile, which has been shown to infect the environment and other patients. The assigned learning module will provide a brief background to the issue and help RNs understand their role in this project. [2/11/2014]
- UC Davis Medical Center is rolling out a hospital-wide initiative to decrease restraint use across all practice care settings. The Restraint Reduction Initiative module will introduce a new tool to assist bedside nurses with their restraint use. All inpatient nurses are required to complete this module within 60 days. This course has been assigned to all inpatient RNs. [12/3/2013]
- The Professional Development Council is attempting to design a nursing clinical ladder for UC Davis Medical Center. To do so first we need to understand how some of the roles are perceived and utilized currently. Please complete the survey which can be accessed from UC Learning Center. [7/17/2013]
- The Adult DKA/HHS Insulin Infusion Protocol has been assigned to all inpatient nurses working adult units. This course will demonstrate understanding of the new hospital-wide Adult DKA/HHS Insulin Infusion Protocol through patient cases, specifically: starting the DKA/HHS insulin infusion; frequency of monitoring; adjustment of the infusion rate; response to hypoglycemia. The Adult DKA HHS Insulin Infusion Adjustment Table (PDF) will need to be printed and referenced to complete the quiz. [2/26/2013]
- The Central Line Maintenance Bundle has been assigned to all inpatient nurses. [9/17/2012]
- The Safe Patient Handling module has been assigned to all inpatient nurses. This module will familiarize staff with policy and standards for safe handling of patients when assisting and directing patient related movements, and prevention of employee and patient injury during movements. The new California state law (AB 1136) addressing safe handling of patients. [8/1/2012]
- The Nursing BCMA Core Hospital Workflows module has been assigned to all inpatient nurses. This is a required pre-requisite course to review the barcoding handheld device’s functionality, features, and troubleshooting prior to attending a Barcoding Medication Administration class. [7/24/2012]
- The Sigma Spectrum IV Infusion pumps have received updates to hardware and software. Nurses are required to complete the hands-on training. Review the training document, SIGMA IV Infusion Pump Update 2012 (PDF) and complete the Sigma IV Pump Skills Performance checklist (PDF) with a trained nurse and return the signed checklist to CPPN. [5/23/2012]
- The Pneumococcal Vaccination Workflow for Nursesis required for all inpatient nurses and has been assigned in UC Learning Center. [4/15/2012]
- All nurses must complete the Creating a Positive Learning Environment module assigned in UC Learning Center. [4/3/2012]
The Center for Professional Practice of Nursing now has a variety of eLearning activites available in the UC Learning Center. To begin, log in and search for the activity you would like to complete or look through the CPPN catalog and click register or start. Some activities will be assigned and will appear under the To Do area when you log in. Required certifications such as Mandatory Annual Training, Privacy and Security Training, Point of Care Testing can be found by changing the Display from All Training to Required Certifications.
You may also find your education record in your Training Transcript. Continuing education is also available in your transcripts. Once you have completed a learning activity that is associated with C.E. contact hours, you may print your continuing education transcript. When logged into UC Learning Center go to Quick Links > Training Transcript, in the upper right, change the view from "Standard" to "Continuing Education." The entire transcript may now be printed or saved to PDF.
To update your profile information such as your e-mail, address and phone number, please update the UC Davis Directory. Click on update my directory listing and log in using your Kerberos ID and passphrase. Once updated, the information will be updated into UC Learning Center the following day.
Managers and designee's will be able to perform a variety of tasks in UC Learning Center. CPPN has developed PDF guides for your convenience.
- Register staff into classes
- Manage employee assignments*
- Employee accounts and transcripts
- Exception reports (Reports displaying users who have not completed assinged training)
- Completion reports
- Registration reports
Standard exception reports are available to managers and designee's. Exception reports will automatically appear in the Manager mode when one or more of your viewable users is assigned a learning activity. There are two reporting levels, users and activites. When the display is changed from direct reports to all viewable users, each user in the department(s) you have access to will appear. Direct reports will only display employees who you directly supervise.
*Manager assignments are only available on certain courses. Courses which do not have the Manage Assignments option available are mananged at an Administrator level. Assignments of these courses can be requested by e-mailing CPPN.
You can download any direct report to Excel by clicking the Export button. If you have viewable users in multiple cost centers, this will be the only way to sort by cost center. You can also export the list of viewable users which will show assignment completion progress and number of activites a user has completed.
If you are a manager and you are unable to view your staff, please submit a Support Request through Employee Self Service or call (916) 734-HELP (4357). Please note: The Manager field in UC Learning Center is populated from the supervisor field in eHR. Please update this to access Direct Reports.
Point of Care Testing
All checklists must be completed with a trained or verified nurse and returned to CPPN for entry into your education record. Any associated eLearning activities must be completed prior to submitting the checklist.
To have a module posted in the UC Learning Center, please develop your module following the UC Davis publication style guides using one of the UC Davis PowerPoint Templates. If there is a post-test, please create the questions and answers in a Word document. When you are ready to submit your module to, please send all related documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any issues or problems with UC Learning Center, please submit a Support Request through Employee Self Service Service or call (916) 734-HELP (4357).