Welcome to the UC Learning Center
The UC Learning Center, powered by SumTotal, serves as the Learning Management System (LMS) for the University of California. The UC Learning Center is used at UC Davis Health System to manage and track employee training, including, mandatory training programs, instructor-led or eLearning activities. In an effort to provide assistance with the LMS, CPPN has developed directions for performing various tasks and addressing common issues.
Accessing UC Learning Center
UC Learning Center can be accessed from work or home by typing http://lms.ucdavis.edu into the address bar. For best results, open Internet Explorer from your desktop. Note: UC Learning Center cannot be accessed via Citrix. A Kerberos account is required, if you do not have a Kerberos account, click "Get my Kerberos account" on the right. The latest version of Adobe Flash Player is also required to access eLearning. Check your version on the right.
Compatability View was required for users running a newer version of Internet Explorer in the previous version of SumTotal. If you added sumtotalsystems.com to your Compatibility View list in the previous version of SumTotal, you must now remove it and run SumTotal 2014.1 in native mode. Please refer to the Microsoft support page for directions.
Searching for an Activity
To use the search function, enter the search criteria in the Search box located in the upper-left hand corner of the home page, then click the magnifying glass or hit enter. Searching by the course # is the most effective method for locating a specific course. By default, all searches now return results with the wildcard '*' appended at the end of the keyword. If you wish to restrict your research to exact matches, please include quotations around the keyword (e.g. "00834"). Please refer to Search Tips under the Search box for additional information. Advance searches are also available.
Re-launching a Completed Online Course
Sometimes you may want to review the content of an online course you have already completed. Other times you may be required to complete a course again. If you have completed the training previously, the system will ask if you would like to restart or review. Please click Restart to retake the course again. If you only want to review a specific portion of the course, click Review.
Registering for Learning Activities
- Search for the Learning Activity using the Search feature, or locate it using the Catalog.
- Within the Search Results, select the activity you wish to register for.
- Click on the Register button.
- Select the activity and click Next.
- Click the Submit button.
- A confirmation page will display confirming your registration.
Canceling a Registration
- In the Current Registration list (located in the left-hand menu), click on the course you'd like to cancel registration for or click "more".
- Select the course(s) you wish to cancel and click "Go" next to Cancel Registration.
- Review the checked courses on the confirmation page, then click on Cancel Marked to confirm your cancellation.
To find the location of a class you are registered for, change the view from All Training to Upcoming Training in the Training section of the To Do area on your home page. Now click the class title underneath ILT Class. Please note: You may click the class title under All Training if it is an ILT Class activity type. If it is an ILT Course, you must click View Activity Details to see the ILT Class, or change the view to Upcoming Training.
Printing a Certificate
To print a certificate of completion, click on Training Transcript under Quick Links on your home page. Click the diploma icon next to the activity name. For best results, change the paper orientation to landscape in the print properties of your Web browser.
Printing C.E. Transcript
To print a transcript of your continuing education, click Training Transcript under Quick Links on your home page. Change the View in the upper-right hand corner from Standard to Continuing Education. Export to PDF and save or print.
Mosby Skills require Internet Explorer to record completion properly.
Browser compatibility check
Many eLearning activities require using Internet Explorer and software such as Adobe Flash Player and Java to function properly. Each activity/vendor will have their their own requirements. Having your system up to date will ensure a smoother experience. You may run the HealthStream browser check or the Skillsoft browser check to ensure your system meets the minimum requirements.
Updating your E-mail address
Your e-mail address is populated from the UC Davis Directory. To update your e-mail address in UC Learning Center, open the UC Davis Directory and click on update my directory listing. You will be required to log in using your Kerberos log in. Once the UC Davis Directory is updated, the information will be updated into UC Learning Center the following day.
The Online TAF is the beginning of a process created to grant various constituents (visiting faculty, concurrent students, vendors, and others) access to UC Davis computer resources. By registering for temporary access, the affiliate will have access to our network, a ucdavis.edu e-mail address, and a unique username and password which will be used to verify identity and enable subsequent access privileges to various parts of our network.
This process is managed internally by the online application routing information to the proper individual at the appropriate time in the Online TAF sequence. At each step, there is an opportunity to leave a message for the next person in the process. These comments are included in both an email to the next person in the process as well as in a confirmation email sent to the individual completing the latest step.
Once the TAF process is complete, affiliates will be eligible to gain access to UC Learning Center by submitting a CPPN UCLC Access Form (XLS) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure the TAF is complete prior to submitting the Excel spreadsheet to CPPN by logging into http://taf.ucdavis.edu and verifying the status for each affiliate. The TAF process will go through the following steps:
- Affiliate Completion Pending
- Sponsor Approval Pending
- Dept. Approval Pending
The LMS account creation process is dependant upon a completed TAF. The affiliates LMS account will be created with the information provided in the spreadsheet. For questions or issues regarding the TAF process, please call IT Express at (530) 754-HELP. For any questions regarding an affiliates LMS account, please contact CPPN at email@example.com.
- Coordination of Awakening (SAT) and Breathing (SBT) in the Adult ICUs has been assigned to ICU RNs, RTs and inpatient pharmacists. This module explains the importance of coordination of the Spontaneous Breathing Trials and Spontaneous Awakening Trial to assist in liberating patient from mechanical ventilation. [2/29/2015]
- The Safe Patient Handling module has been assigned to health-care providers. This module will familiarize you with UC Davis Health System policy and standards for safe handling of patients when assisting and directing patient related movements, and prevention of employee and patient injury during movements. [2/9/2015]
- The UC Learning Center has been updated! Features include a more modern look and greatly improved internet browser compatibility. The newsfeed has been updated to provide users with eaiser access to common pages and the catalog has been merged with the UC Davis campus catalog. RNs now have access to their CE certificates from the training transcript. [2/4/2015]
- The Baratric Sensitivity module titled Maintaining Dignity of Patients with Morbid Obesity in the Hospital Setting, is now available and has been assigned to staff. [1/21/2014]
- The Pyxis MedStation ES system from CareFusion is an automated medication dispensing system supporting decentralized medication management. UC Davis Health System will be upgrading to the Pyxis MedStation ES starting on Monday, September 8, 2014. This online module contains step-by-step instructions that take you through the basic features and functions of the Pyxis MedStation® ES station. This module has been assigned to RNs, RTs and pharmacy staff who will be using the Pyxis Medstation ES. All users, with the exception of pharmacy staff, should choose the nursing option when starting the module. Note: Please disregard the final score as it will only reflect the portion of the module completed (nursing or pharmacy). [8/11/2014]
- Re-Walk the Lines: Preventing Medication Errors has been assigned to all inpatient RNs. This module will help to improve the safety of IV medication administration via secondary or piggyback infusion method; educate nurses on the risks associated with IV piggyback infusion method; heighten awareness of the importance of always performing a visual check when starting a secondary line to ensure that it is infusing properly (i.e., roller clamp is open, connection is not faulty; etc.) before proceeding to other tasks. [5/21/2014]
- Venous thromboembolism (VTE) is a disease process that includes Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) and Pulmonary Embolism (PE). VTE is common problem in hospitalized patients that can lead to morbidity, death, and higher health care costs. Inpatient RNs are required to complete the assigned training module. [4/8/2014]
- The Accu-Chek Inform II module and checklist is now available and has been assigned to staff. This replaces the previous Accu-Check module and checklist. If your unit does not have the Accu-Chek Inform II, you may complete the module and wait to complete the checklist until your unit receives the Accu-Chek Inform II. [3/28/2014]
- On March 12, 2014, UC Davis Medical Center will begin a quality improvement initiative in order to reduce the incidence of C. difficile infections. RNs caring for adult, nonobstetric patients will begin screening patients for asymptomatic colonization of C. difficile, which has been shown to infect the environment and other patients. The assigned learning module will provide a brief background to the issue and help RNs understand their role in this project. [2/11/2014]
- UC Davis Medical Center is rolling out a hospital-wide initiative to decrease restraint use across all practice care settings. The Restraint Reduction Initiative module will introduce a new tool to assist bedside nurses with their restraint use. All inpatient nurses are required to complete this module within 60 days. This course has been assigned to all inpatient RNs. [12/3/2013]
- The Professional Development Council is attempting to design a nursing clinical ladder for UC Davis Medical Center. To do so first we need to understand how some of the roles are perceived and utilized currently. Please complete the survey which can be accessed from UC Learning Center. [7/17/2013]
- The Adult DKA/HHS Insulin Infusion Protocol has been assigned to all inpatient nurses working adult units. This course will demonstrate understanding of the new hospital-wide Adult DKA/HHS Insulin Infusion Protocol through patient cases, specifically: starting the DKA/HHS insulin infusion; frequency of monitoring; adjustment of the infusion rate; response to hypoglycemia. The Adult DKA HHS Insulin Infusion Adjustment Table (PDF) will need to be printed and referenced to complete the quiz. [2/26/2013]
- Learner Guide
- Instructor Guide (coming soon)
- Manager Guide (coming soon)
Managers and designee's will be able to perform a variety of tasks in UC Learning Center including:
- Assignments: You can manage training assignments for your direct reports and other viewable users from Manager mode. You can assign, edit, and remove training assignments. Learning activities which do not have the Manage Assignments option available are mananged at an Administrator level. Administrators can assign a group of learners to training through an organization, job, or audience. Assignments of these learning activities can be requested by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registrations: In addition to managing training assignments of employees, you can also manage registrations of your direct reports and viewable users. You can register the users individually or use batch registration to register multiple users at a time. Similarly, you can cancel the registrations individually or for multiple users.
- Exception Reports: These reports will display the user's assigned training completion progress in terms of percent complete. The exception reports will automatically appear in Manager mode when one or more of your viewable users is assigned to a learning activity. There are two reporting levels, users and activites. When the display is changed from all viewable users to direct reports, only employees whom you directly supervise will appear.
- Advanced Reporting: Advanced reports will be available soon.
Direct Reports are populated from the Supervisor field in eHR. Please update eHR to update your Direct Reports. If you require access to users you do not directly supervise, pleaes submit an Access Request through Service Catalog.
Effective September 29, 2014, the new skills and competency format was implemented. All previous versions of the skills and competencies are no longer valid per the Nursing Operations and Practice Committee and the new Structure Standards. The actual requirements of an individual skills check sheet have not changed, only the format.
All checklists can now be found on the skills and competency website. All documents must be scanned and submitted electronically by e-mail to email@example.com. Paper forms submitted by fax, inter-office, hand delivery, etc. will be returned unprocessed.
The CADD Pump, Medfusion 4000 Pump, Sigma Pump and Pyxis MedStation checklists are included in the General RN Core Competencies and Skills packet. Pages 1 through 3 must be completed along with the corresponding checklist(s).
If you would like to make an eLearning available for UC Learning Center, please develop your module following the UC Davis publication style guides using one of the UC Davis PowerPoint Templates. If there is a post-test, please create the questions and answers in a Word document.
A CPPN Information Sheet (doc) is also required to be submitted with your module. When you are ready to submit your module, please send all related documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any issues or problems with UC Learning Center, please submit a Support Request through Employee Self Service Service or call (916) 734-HELP (4357).