The UC Davis Health System Eye Center’s Neuro-Ophthalmology service provides highly specialized consultations in the diagnosis and treatment of complex unexplained neurological abnormalities affecting visual pathways.
The typical case is a patient who experiences unexplained vision loss. In responding to such cases, the UC Davis Health System Eye Center conducts routine diagnostic tests and a thorough evaluation by ophthalmologists, neurologists and other appropriate sub-specialists. Less complicated cases can often be resolved with a telephone consultation.
Facilitating the service's hallmark diagnostic capabilities is a full complement of the most sophisticated diagnostic tools and technology, including computerized visual field testing, the latest in 3-D digital imaging and electrophysiological testing, including ERG (Electroretinogram), MfERG (Multi-focal Electroretinogram) and EOG (Electro-oculogram). The Eye Center’s Neuro-Ophthalmology service accepts referrals statewide, nationally and internationally from ophthalmologists, neurologists, neurosurgeons and other physician specialists.
To Obtain a Consultation
Dr. Syed Khizer Khaderi and the Eye Center staff welcome the opportunity to participate in your eye care. We want your experience to be as pleasant and comfortable as possible. To help you achieve this, we ask that you be aware of the following:
- As a referral to the Neuro-Ophthalmology Service at UC Davis, we routinely conduct comprehensive examinations that typically last 6-8 hours. The eye examination is quite involved and consists of various tests. We realize this makes for a long day, but at the conclusion of your evaluation, Dr. Khaderi and his staff will discuss with you the results of your tests, diagnosis, possible treatments and continued care.
- A Resident Physician will evaluate you first, prior to initial testing. We ask that you hand-carry MRI/CT Films, Visual Fields, and Clinic Notes to our office and have them available during your visit.
- Visual Fields will be completed as part of your examination. Please be sure to bring any previous Visual Field results (not done at the Eye Center).
- Please bring a current list of the medications you are taking along with any eye glasses, contact lenses or other vision aids you are currently using.
- Your eyes will be dilated and you will likely have photographs taken of the back of your eye.
- As a result of the dilation of your eyes, it is strongly advised that you make arrangements for transportation home.
- Please be aware that there is a parking fee of $2.00, with a validated ticket.
Neurological Eye Simulator
Please click here to access our eye simulator.