Medical Student Resources
Dr. Jorge García holds office hours for students at the following times:
Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 9:00am-1:00pm
Thursdays by prior arrangement
To schedue a meeting with Dr. García, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with some preferred dates and times. Dr. García's schedule is subject to change, so please offer multiple times if possible.
How to Request a Letter of Recommendation
To the best of our ability, the Office of Student and Resident Diversity will support your bid for scholarships and other awards by providing a letter of recommendation for you. Please familiarize yourself with the steps below to ensure that we can fulfill your request in a timely manner.
When to Submit a Request:
All requests for a letter must be received at least three weeks before the application deadline.
What You’ll Need to Submit a Request:
- Name of the granting organization
- Type of the granting organization (e.g., academic, professional group)
- Name of the program you are enrolled in at UCDSOM and/or OSRD and your participation year
- Application deadline
- Web link or photo of instructions from the granting organization that lists all of the application requirements
- Format for submission (e.g., electronic or postal mail)
- Mailing address for submission, if necessary
- Unofficial copy of your transcript
- Current resume or CV listing your experiences in chronological order
- Brief statement specifically addressing your qualifications for the scholarship/award you are applying for
How to Submit a Request:
Please send an email addressing all (10) of the points above to email@example.com with the Subject line “Letter of Recommendation Request—[Your Name]” at least three weeks before the application deadline.
Conference Travel Funding
Medical students who attend a conference with a focus on diversity or a mission that aligns with that of OSRD can apply for a reimbursement of travel costs (up to $500 per academic year). Students can apply at OSRD's Funding Request form.
If students are presenting their own research, we strongly recommend applying for the Office of Medical Education's Medical Student Research Travel Award. For more information, please contact Jenifer Wang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please make sure everyone interested in going gets permission/clearance from the following:
- Sharad Jain, Associate Dean of Student Affairs (email@example.com)
- Susan Gardinor if MS1s/MS2s (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Polly Latow if MS3s/MS4s (email@example.com)
- Rebecca Miller, Registrar (firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com)
- Your instructor if any mandatory classes/clinics will be missed
For travel to national conferences and events, first priority will go to students who are members of the organization and/or from that conference’s constituent group (e.g. for SNMA conferences, SNMA members and African American/Black medical students will be given first priority). We have implemented this rule to honor the students who do not have as many affinity spaces and networking opportunities within the School.
OSRD can only fund travel within the United States.
Many Student Interest Groups (SIGs) organize events and programs to promote greater understanding across cultural differences. OSRD offers sponsorship of these programs throughout the academic year, through funding (subject to availability), outreach, and event planning support. Students can apply for funding at OSRD's Funding Request form.
Diversity Advisory Council
OSRD supports the Medical Student Diversity Advisory Council (DAC), made up of officers from each of the SIGs representing groups that have been historically underrepresented in medicine. The goal of DAC is to cultivate a safe learning environment in which diversity can be explored through a means that is inclusive, accepting, and productive. Current DAC groups include:
- American Medical Women's Association (AMWA)
- Asian Pacific American Medical Student Association (APAMSA)
- Filipino-Americans in Medicine (FAIM)
- Gender and Sexual Diversity (GSD)
- Latino Medical Student Association (LMSA)
- Middle Eastern and South Asian (MESA)
- Muslim Medical Student Association (MMSA)
- Southeast Asians in Medicine (SEAM)
- Student National Medical Association (SNMA)