Career Path for the Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
How to Become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
Several steps are necessary to become a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN).
- Completion of an ACEND®-accredited Coordinated Program in Dietetics, which can be either a bachelor degree or a master's degree program, that combines classroom courses with supervised practical experience.
- Graduates are eligible to take the Registered Examination for Dietitians to become credentialed as RDNs.
- Completion of an ACEND®-accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics program. This is a program that grants at least a bachelor's degree and is accredited by ACEND®.
- Completion of a supervised practical experience in an ACEND®-accredited Dietetic Internship Program or Individualized Supervised Practice Pathway. The UC Davis Medical Center Dietetic Internship fulfills the supervised practice requirements for an accredited Dietetic Internship Program.
- Graduates are eligible to take the Registered Examination for Dietitians to become credentialed as registered dietitian nutritionists (RDN).
This information was sourced from the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics and ACEND®. ACEND® is the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics, the agency which governs education programs preparing students for careers as registered dietitian nutritionists or nutrition and dietetics technicians, registered.
Please visit the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics' website for additional information.