Unique Programs at Leading Edge of Medicine
Our training program takes advantage of the unique strengths of the UC Davis Health System as well as academic programs across the Davis campus. Here are just a few of the special opportunities that we offer:
- Inter-disciplinary education:
- Rotations in Clinical Chemistry include learning experiences in toxicology with housestaff from the Medical Toxicology Fellowship Program in Emergency Medicine and Internal Medicine, and includes pharmacy residents, too.
- Regular teaching conferences with residents in veterinary pathology from UC Davis’ world-famous School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Co-educational experiences with students from our Clinical Laboratory Scientist Training Program, promoting partnership between laboratory professionals.
- Rotations with sub-specialty teams in surgical pathology.
- Quality programs: Regular participation in Lean Process Improvement for the clinical laboratory
- Technology at the leading edge of medical diagnostics, including:
- Virtual tumor boards that utilize telemedicine to connect specialists at our Comprehensive Cancer Center to rural communities in our Cancer Care Network.
- Telepathology for frozen sections.
- Informatics applied to clinical practice, such as a unique UC Davis-developed transfusion registry to manage use of blood products.
- A state of the art robotic automation line in the core laboratory.
- Formal training in molecular and genomic pathology, including genomic tumor boards.
- Formal didactic sessions, including board-review sessions.
- Experiences beyond academic medicine at our educational partner, the Mather Sacramento Veterans Administration Medical Center.
- A structured mentorship program pairing residents with faculty mentors, modelled after UCD Schools of Health innovative Mentorship Academy .
- Faculty who are award-winning educators.