Government and Community Relations
The UC Davis Health System Government and Community Relations Department is responsible for all legislative and community relations activities at the local, state and federal levels, as it relates to increasing awareness, understanding and support for UC Davis Health System. The department's focus on public service helps promote collaborative relationships with the public and private sector within the Greater Sacramento region.
The department serves as the primary point of contact with all local, state and federal branches of government. These activities are done on behalf of the entire UC Davis Health System, which includes UC Davis Medical Center, UC Davis School of Medicine, UC Davis Medical Group and the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing at UC Davis.
The department works closely with the UC Office of the President, the UC State Government Relations office and the UC Federal Government Relations office in Washington, D.C., developing and advocating for significant public policy and budget matters that affect health care.
The Government and Community Relations staff:
- Develop and maintain relationships with elected officials, their staff and various departments and agencies;
- Coordinate elected officials visits to the Health System for policy briefings and to serve as speakers and guests at special events;
- Advocate the University of California position on proposed legislation at the state and federal levels;
- Provide information to elected officials and their staff on the impact of proposed legislation on UC Davis Health System;
- Promote UC Davis Health System research, patient care and policy agenda with agencies and elected officials;
- Coordinate meetings for UC Davis Health System faculty and senior leadership with elected officials and agency representatives.
The department guides community relations and outreach efforts for UC Davis Health System in many ways including:
- Increasing awareness of the health system's position and commitment to the community and its partners;
- Supporting a variety of activities and partner organizations throughout the Sacramento region;
- Connecting with the community through two health system volunteer boards - Community Advisory Board and Leadership Council;
- Working with local elementary, high school and community college students to educate and promote diversity in the future health care workforce;
- Coordinating with local neighbors on issues of importance;
- Relaying community concerns and suggestions to health system decision makers for consideration;
- Coordinating community benefits based on community health needs assessments;
- Managing Staff Offering Service, the health system's employee volunteer program;
- Managing the Health System's sponsorship program.
UC Davis Health System envisions a future in which everyone enjoys a healthy life. Every day, dedicated physicians, nurses, researchers, other health professionals, students, staff and community partners work together to improve individual and community health.
UC Davis Health System actively engages in improving the health of the region. This is known as “community benefit.” Community-benefit practices include:
- Performing health-care services without compensation;
- Supporting community health improvement services and projects;
- Educating health professionals who will serve the region;
- Conducting research that improves lives;
- Contributing to the region’s economy and vitality through a talented workforce; and
- Reinvesting resources into the community.
To help the region’s nonprofit healthcare providers and others to focus efforts on the area’s greatest needs, the Health System participates in a community health needs assessment every three years. A new assessment will be completed in June 2013 and available on this web page. A copy of the 2011-12 Community Benefit report can be accessed here.
Staff Offering Service (SOS)
A key component of the department's outreach success is the Staff Offering Service (SOS) Program.
SOS is the Health System's employee volunteer program, which has provided thousands of donated hours of assistance for community and non-profit organizations since it started in 1992.
The program is guided by team leads, who identify opportunities for health system employees to give back to the communities that the health system serves. Organizations such as Meals on Wheels, Ronald McDonald House Charities, Sacramento Food Bank and Family Services, Soil Born Farms and WEAVE are just a few of the organizations employees have worked with.
There is not a required time committment to be involved in the SOS program. Health System faculty, students and staff interested in joining the SOS program can call the main office at (916) 734-5441 or e-mail email@example.com.
UC Davis Health System is providing a seasonal weekly Farmers Market for Health System staff, faculty and students, as well as the local community and surrounding neighborhoods. The market brings healthy, seasonal, and convenient food options to the Health System community.
A joint effort of the UC Living Fit Forever program and the Health System's Community Advisory Board, the market features fresh, local and organic fruits and vegetables, artisan cheeses, grass-fed beef, breads and more.
The Farmers Market is every Thursday, May 16 - November 7, from 3 pm - 7:30 pm in parking lot 12, at the corner of 45th and Y Streets. Community members can park for free in the Shriners Hospital parking garage.
The Farmers Market operator, Be Money Smart USA, is a local nonprofit dedicated to promoting and teaching financial literacy for youth and young adults.
To learn more, visit the UC Davis Health System Farmers Market Facebook page.
Community Advisory Board
UC Davis Health System's Community Advisory Board, which consists of 32 members, advises health system leadership on patient and community health concerns, long-range development plans and overall community outreach. The Community Advisory Board provides an important link to ethnically, culturally and economically diverse communities in the region.
The UC Davis Health System Leadership Council is a volunteer group of more than 100 community members who serve as advocates committed to building awareness of and support for UC Davis Health System throughout the Sacramento region and beyond. Members act as ambassadors to the community and as architects of private philanthropic support.
UC Davis Health System sponsors a select number of events that are strongly aligned with its mission of discovering and sharing knowledge to advance health. The health system’s sponsorship program follows a thorough process of evaluating sponsorship opportunities. The opportunities that are ultimately funded make a positive impact on the communities the health system serves. For more information, visit: http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/sponsorship/.
Phone: (916) 734-5441
Fax: (916) 734-5777