Government and Community Relations
The UC Davis Health Government and Community Relations Department is responsible for all legislative and community relations activities at the local, state and federal levels, as it relates to increasing awareness, understanding and support for UC Davis Health.
The department's focus on public service helps promote collaborative relationships with the public and private sector within the Greater Sacramento region.
The department serves as the primary point of contact with all local, state and federal branches of government. These activities are done on behalf of all of UC Davis Health, which includes UC Davis Medical Center, UC Davis School of Medicine, UC Davis Medical Group and the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing at UC Davis.
The department works closely with the UC Office of the President, the UC State Government Relations office and the UC Federal Government Relations office in Washington, D.C., to develop and advocate for significant public policy and budget matters that affect health care.
The Government and Community Relations staff:
- Develop and maintain relationships with elected officials, their staff and various departments and agencies;
- Coordinate elected officials visits to the health system for policy briefings and to serve as speakers and guests at special events;
- Advocate the University of California position on proposed legislation at the state and federal levels;
The department guides community relations and outreach efforts for UC Davis Health in many ways including:
- Increasing awareness of UC Davis Health's position and commitment to the community and its partners;
- Supporting a variety of activities and partner organizations throughout the Sacramento region;
- Connecting with the community through two UC Davis Health volunteer boards - Community Advisory Board and Leadership Council;
- Working with local elementary, high school and community college students to educate and promote diversity in the future health care workforce;
- Coordinating with local neighbors on issues of importance;
- Managing Staff Offering Service, UC Davis Health's employee volunteer program;
- Managing UC Davis Health's sponsorship program.
UC Davis Health's Community Advisory Board, is comprised of a diverse community of volunteers who advise health system leadership on patient and community health concerns, long-range development plans and overall community outreach. The Community Advisory Board provides an important link to ethnically, culturally and economically diverse communities in the region.
UC Davis Health provides a seasonal weekly Farmers Market for staff, faculty and students, as well as the local community and surrounding neighborhoods. The market brings healthy, seasonal, and convenient food options to the local community.
A collaboration of the UC Living Fit Forever program and the UC Davis Health Community Advisory Board, the market features fresh, local fruits and vegetables, artisan cheeses, eggs, breads, freshly prepared meals and more. The market is open Wednesdays (May 16 - October 31) from 3 pm - 7 pm in the Education quad, located at X and 45th Streeets.
To learn more, follow the Farmers Market at UC Davis Health on social media.
UC Davis Health's Leadership Council is a volunteer group of more than 100 community members who serve as advocates committed to building awareness of and support for UC Davis Health throughout the Sacramento region and beyond. Members act as ambassadors to the community and as architects of private philanthropic support.
UC Davis Health sponsors a select number of events and initiatives that are strongly aligned with its mission of discovering and sharing knowledge to advance health. The sponsorship program follows a thorough process of evaluating sponsorship opportunities. The opportunities that are ultimately funded make a positive impact on the communities the health system serves. Learn more about UC Davis Health's sponsorship program.
A key component of the department's outreach success is the Staff Offering Service (SOS) Program.
SOS is UC Davis Health's employee volunteer program, which has provided thousands of donated hours of assistance for community and non-profit organizations since it started in 1992.
The program is guided by team leads, who identify opportunities for health system employees to give back to the communities that the health system serves. Organizations such as Make-A-Wish Foundation, Ronald McDonald House Charities, Sacramento Food Bank and Family Services, St. Johns for Real Change, Women's Empowerment, and Salvation Army are just a few of the organizations where employees have volunteered their time.
There is not a required time commitment to be involved in the SOS program. UC Davis Health faculty, students and staff interested in joining the SOS program can call the main office at 916-734-5441 or e-mail HSfirstname.lastname@example.org.