How to Prepare for Your First Appointment
The following information will help you get organized for your first appointment with the Department of Radiation Oncology.
To make a first appointment, please call New Patient Appointments:
Radiation Oncology New Patient Appointments
(916) 734-1971 or (800) 770-9275
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Before your first visit
- Review the list of X-rays, mammograms, ultrasounds, CT scans, MRIs, PET scans, recent lab tests, glass slides, pathology reports or other items that you were asked to hand-carry with you to your first appointment. If not done at a UC Davis facility, please request discs of images and the reports. Our doctors rely on imaging to make treatment decisions. If any of these is missing or if you have questions, please call Radiation Oncology New Patient Appointments for assistance.
- Fill out the Patient Medical Questionnaire that was mailed to you and bring it to your first appointment.
- Prepare a list current medications (with dosage and how often you take it)
- Write down the questions and concerns you want to bring up with your doctor at your first appointment.
- To help you prepare for your upcoming procedure, we suggest that you view the radiation oncology Emmi® program. Emmi programs are video tutorials that take complex medical information and make it simple and easy-to-understand. To learn more about the technology and procedures for your radiation therapy, please visit https://www.my-emmi.com/SelfReg/UCDAVISRADIATION
- Consider asking a family member or friend to come with you to your appointment. It can be helpful to have someone else along to listen to what the doctor says and perhaps take notes.
What to bring to your first visit
- A family member or friend, if possible. If someone is not available to be with you, please visit the New Patient Support section for information on our Peer Navigator program.
- Your X-rays and any other items you were asked to hand-carry to your first appointment.
- A completed Patient Medical Questionnaire.
- The name, phone number(s) and address of a person who can be contacted in case of an emergency.
- Your health insurance card(s), including Medicare or Medi-Cal cards.
- Any co-payment required by your insurance.
- A list of questions for your doctor and a pen and paper to write down the answers.
- Please bring your parking ticket with you and ask the receptionist at Radiation Oncology to validate it when you check in for your appointment. More information on alternate transportation options and parking near Radiation Oncology can be found at the Parking and Transportation page.
Checking in for your first appointment
When you arrive for your appointment, the receptionist at the front desk in the main lobby of the Cancer Center can direct you where you will need to go. The Department of Radiation Oncology is located on the ground level or basement floor of the UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center. Click here for maps and directions. If you are a new patient, please plan to arrive 30 minutes before your scheduled first visit. If you are new to UC Davis Health System, you will be asked to provide insurance information.