UC Davis Stem Cell Training Program
If you are interested in pursuing a career in research, just starting out, or looking to supplement your scientific training, there are opportunities at UC Davis and throughout the state.
CIRM Bridges Program
The CIRM Bridges to Stem Cell Research Awards are training the next generation of stem cell scientists and laboratory technicians by funding courses and research internships for undergraduates and masters-level students. At the 2011 CIRM Bridges Trainee Meeting, 160 students from the 16 Bridges programs presented posters that describe the research results from their internships and learned about career opportunities in stem cell science.
Read more at:
CIRM High School Creativity Program
This summer course is an introduction to human stem cell biology with specific emphasis on adult, embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells. Topics will include how stem cell sre isolated or generated, how they are cultured, and how theare are used for regenerative therapies. In adidtion, students will learn about Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and how to manufacture human stem cells. Students obtain a certificate at the end of the course.
- Discern the differences between embryonic, induced pluripotent, and adult stem cells
- Learn stem cell culture techniques and applications
- Explore current therapies for human diseases using stem cells
- Become familiar with federal regulations and good manufacturing practices
- Learn about product manufacturing within a GMP Facility.
Video: Each summer, 10 high school students are invited to work alongside scientists and research technicians in UC Davis stem cell laboratories. The program, done in collaboration with the UC Davis Teen Biotech Challenge, is designed to enable promising students to gain college-level experience and potentially inspire them to pursue science degrees and careers.
Steps for New Students
- The only way a high school student may work with us through the CIRM Creativity Program is to Win the Teen Biotech Challenge in a related category (regenerative medicine, or a few others). This takes a semester of work to build a website, working with his or her high school teacher and Dr. Judy Kjelstrom's office.
- After winning, be interested in a summer internship with us.
- Then, go through a brief treasure hunt of training and paperwork with Volunteer Services.
- Be assigned to a mentor and take Gerhard Bauer's class.
- Then the fun starts!