Women in Medicine and Health Sciences (WIMHS)
UC Davis Health System Women in Medicine and Health Sciences (WIMHS) is an alliance with Women in Medicine and Science (WIMS) in medical schools throughout the nation through its interactions with the AAMC Group on Women in Medicine and Science (GWIMS). We partner with the medical student group with a similar mission, American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA).
Please visit our WIMHS blog »
Our Mission and Purpose
The mission of UC Davis Health System Women in Medicine and Health Sciences is to ensure the full participation and success of women in all roles within academic medicine.
Our purpose is to promote policies, practices, and programs that advance women’s participation and success by:
- Advocating for women’s advancement and leadership in education, research, clinical practice, and administration
- Promoting sustainable strategies to enhance an institutional climate of inclusion, equity and opportunity
- Collecting, analyzing, and applying data to inform institutional and individual decisions and actions
- Developing and disseminating initiatives, resources, and mentoring and professional career development programs
- Recognizing women’s accomplishments
- Creating opportunities for networking
- Working with AAMC and other medical schools to advance women in medicine and science nationally
The priority areas of the Women in Medicine and Health Sciences Strategic Plan include:
- Recruitment: To become a AAMC leader in the recruitment (and retention) of women faculty, especially for those at the ranks of Associate and Full Professor.
- Retention: To identify vulnerable groups of women for departure, increase access to mentors and provide guidance on the advancement process.
- Culture and Environment: To enhance and improve the current culture and promote women’s careers in medicine and health sciences.
- Leadership: To develop navigation roadmaps to leadership excellence for women.
- Scholarship: To provide advocacy and seek opportunities for scholarly contributions and other collarative work.
Please see the Women in Medicine and Health Sciences Strategic Plan (PDF) for full details.
Advocating for Leadership
Each year, our school selects and financially supports promising women faculty to attend national career development and leadership programs. Watch for e-mail announcements soliciting candidates who would like to considered for the following programs:
Working with the AAMC: Our WIMHS maintains an active presence at the national level, by participating in the AAMC Group on Women in Medicine and Science (GWIMS). Lydia P. Howell, M.D. and Amparo Villablanca, M.D. are our GWIMS representatives.
UC Davis listed as one of the Top Universities for Women Faculty as reported by Statnews.com
The Women in Medicine and Health Science Program: An Innovative Initiative to Support Female Faculty at the University of California Davis School of Medicine (PDF), Academic Medicine, Vol. 89, No. 11 / November 2014
Women in Medicine and Health Sciences honored the founding female faculty members of the UC Davis School of Medicine at a special event on January 21, 2009. The book Under the Plane Tree - Celebrating Our Founding Women in Medicine (PDF) is a tribute to the school's pioneering women faculty.