The Benefits of Living Donation
• The live donor kidney is the best quality kidney.
• A living donor transplant will eliminate the long wait time on the national deceased donor waiting list.
• Living donation maximizes the chance for a recipient to receive a transplant before the need dialysis.
• A living donor transplant may be the only option to avoid dialysis.
• Live donor kidneys last twice as long. Live donor kidneys transplanted today will function for an average of 20 years.
• The surgery can be timed for the optimal health of the recipient and for donor convenience.
• The live donor operation is safe for the donor.