One choice for the benefits of academic medicine
UC Davis physicians are accepting new patients during open enrollment
We have refreshing rivers, nationally recognized cultural diversity, a vibrant arts scene and a capital city with (reportedly) more trees per capita than Paris. Add another unique benefit of living in the greater Sacramento region: the ability to access the health knowledge and innovation of a top-10 U.S. university to meet our everyday health-care needs.
That university is UC Davis, and many UC Davis physicians are currently accepting new primary care patients of all ages at medical offices located in 10 area communities, from Davis to Auburn to Elk Grove. Fall is an ideal time to choose a UC Davis personal physician thanks to open enrollment, the annual period when many of us have the flexibility to change our health-insurance plans.
Good health starts with primary care, and UC Davis recruits primary care physicians who offer a unique combination of personalized, compassionate care and access to the expertise of the area’s only academic health system.
Your medical home
UC Davis primary care physicians embrace a model of care known as the patient-centered medical home, which places formal emphasis on good physician-patient communication, on wellness and prevention, and on providing patients the tools they need to reach their health goals. The model also stresses close coordination of all of a patient’s care needs, such as tests, health records and referrals to other UC Davis medical specialists.
Streamlined access to those specialists is distinctive facet of health care at UC Davis. UC Davis primary care physicians can tap the research and expertise of colleagues across the university to inform their everyday primary care, and can directly refer patients to renowned UC Davis specialists in 150 areas of advanced medicine when needed. Patients gain the benefits of UC Davis innovation, advanced technologies and breakthrough diagnostic and treatment strategies.
Choosing a UC Davis physician
UC Davis Medical Group accepts most health plans. View the list
If your health insurance plan does not include UC Davis Medical Group, you may want to consider switching plans during open enrollment to one that does.
If you have a health insurance plan that includes UC Davis Medical Group but you’re currently part of another medical group, your plan may allow you to switch groups at any time.
Individuals shopping for health insurance through the state’s new Covered California health benefit exchange have health plans to choose from that will provide access to a UC Davis primary care provider.
Of the Covered California plan offerings in Rating Region 3 (Sacramento, Yolo, Placer and El Dorado counties), UC Davis is an option for Western Health Advantage HMO and Anthem HMO. Info: www.coveredca.com.
Questions? Read our FAQs about UC Davis care or call 800-2-UCDAVIS (800-282-3284).
Other unique advantages of choosing a UC Davis physician include:
- High rankings for quality. UC Davis Medical Center is the area’s top hospital with a long list of high-performing medical specialties, according to U.S. News & World Report, and UC Davis physicians routinely appear in various "top doctors" rankings. The UC Davis School of Medicine is continually ranked among the nation’s best and has educated many of the area’s physicians.
- Patient satisfaction. Approximately 98 percent of UC Davis clinic outpatients rate their quality of care as "good," "very good" or "excellent" in UC Davis surveys, and 97 percent say they'd recommend UC Davis clinics to others.
- Our research on patient-centered care. UC Davis is an important source of research about the importance of human interaction in medicine. For example, a UC Davis study found that physicians who have more personalized discussions with patients, and encourage them to take a more active role in their own care, can help lower medical costs and reduce the need for some services.
- Convenience. Same-day primary care appointments are available for patients during illness, and the MyChart (® Epic Systems Corportation) electronic medical record system offers free, secure online messaging for viewing test results, requesting appointments and referrals, refilling prescriptions and more. Specialty and support services are also available at many clinic sites.
- Culturally competent care. The nation’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil-rights organization has recognized UC Davis Medical Center three years running for creating an inclusive and welcoming environment for LGBT patients and employees. UC Davis Health System has also received honors for efforts to recruit, retain and promote minority individuals within the workforce.
To select a UC Davis physician who is accepting new patients, for more assistance, or to get answers to frequently asked questions, call 800-2-UCDAVIS (800-282-3284) or visit "Frequently Asked Questions" on the UC Davis Medical Group web page.