Catastrophic Leave Sharing Program
One objective of Human Resources is to develop systemwide policies and local programs that foster a positive workplace environment. The Catastrophic Leave Sharing Program enhances team spirit by giving employees the opportunity to voluntarily donate accrued vacation leave in support of colleagues who have exhausted their paid leave balances due to their own serious illness/injury or in caring for a seriously ill/injured family member. Such donations ensure salary continuation during needed leave.
This leave sharing program is available for all eligible staff and academic personnel across fund sources, divisions and departments. Individual catastrophic leave accounts are not credited with vacation leave balances that exceed the amount needed to ensure continuation of the employee's regular salary during the employee's approved catastrophic leave. For simplicity and audit purposes, accrued vacation credits shall be transferred hour for hour, regardless of differing pay scales. All donations are voluntary and confidential.
Catastrophic illness or injury is defined as a serious illness or injury that is expected to incapacitate the employee or the employee's family member and which creates a financial hardship to the employee due to exhausted leave credits, i.e., sick leave, vacation and compensatory time off (CTO).
Eligible employee includes staff and academic personnel who accrue vacation leave, are eligble to use sick leave in accordance with applicable policy or collective bargaining agreement, and who have passed the waiting period to use vacation if a waiting period is required by the applicable policy or collective bargaining agreement.
Eligible Family Member includes employee's spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent or grandchild; in laws and step-relatives in these relationships; any other person residing in the employee's household for whom there is a personal obligation.
Eligible leave credits for donation is limited to vacation credits. Sick leave and CTO credits may not be donated.
- Employee submits completed Catastrophic Leave Application and a medical certification form which substantiates the need for time off due to an illness/injury to the Department Manager or Chief Administrative Officer. If employee, due to incapacitation, is unable to submit the required documents, a representative may submit it on the employee's behalf.
- Department Manager or Chief Administrative Officer reviews the Catastrophic Leave Application and medical certification form and completes the Manager/CAO section of the Application Review/Approval Worksheet. All documents including the Application Review/Approval Worksheet are then forwarded to Employee and Labor Relations for review and approval.
- Employee & Labor Relations reviews all information submitted by the Department Manager or Chief Administrative Officer, confirms whether the request meets the criteria specified in the Catastrophic Leave Guidelines, and approves or denies the request. The Application Review/Approval Worksheet is then returned to Department Manager or Chief Administrative Officer with the decision from Employee and Labor Relations noted on the form.
- If the request is approved by Employee and Labor Relations, the following forms will be forwarded to the Department Manager or Chief Administrative Officer:
- Request for Catastrophic Leave Donation
- Catastrophic Leave Donation Form
- Summary Memo to UC Davis Health System Payroll Department
- The Department Manager or Chief Administrative Officer completes the Request for Catastrophic Leave Donation Form and forwards it to staff in the department.
- If an employee indicates they would like to donate vacation hours, the Department Manager or Chief Administrative Officer provides them with the Catastrophic Leave Donation Form which is to be completed and returned to the Department Manager or Chief Administrative Officer.
- The Department Manager or Chief Administrative Officer completes the Summary Memo for the UC Davis Health System Payroll Department and forwards it to them along with the following documents:
Denied Catastrophic Leave Request
- Catastrophic Leave Review/Approval Worksheet
- Catastrophic Leave Donation Form
The department maintains records regarding employee donations, usage rates and related accounting information. It is the department's responsibility to notify donors of subsequent adjustments to their vacation leave balances.
- Each donation must be a minimum of 8 hours.
- Each donation must be in whole increments.
- Once credited and processed by the UC Davis Health System Payroll Department, donations are irrevocable.
- Hours collected will be held in the department and credited to the leave account on an as needed basis.
The Catastrophic Leaving-Sharing Program is not subject to the grievance policy or contract article applicable to the employee.
Questions about this program should be forwarded to the health system Employee & Labor Relations office at (916) 734-3362. Any questions about Benefits and/or Disability Insurance should be forwarded to the UC Davis Health System Benefits office at (916) 734-8099.
Accounting Manual (Chapter P-196-13.5)
UCOP Delegation DA 2085, dated 6-12-97