Where verbal, visual or physical behavior in the workplace: 1) focuses on the sexuality of another person or occurs because of the person's gender; 2) is unwanted or unwelcome; and 3) is severe or pervasive enough to affect the person's work environment.
The following are examples of behaviors that can create a hostile environment if they are unwanted and uninvited:
- Off-color jokes or teasing
- Comments about body parts or sex life, sexual orientation
- Sexual innuendoes
- Use of profanity
- Repeated requests for dates
- Excessive attention in the form of love letters, telephone calls or gifts
- Suggestive pictures, posters, calendars or cartoons
- Offensive emails, screen savers, computer material
- Leering, stares or gestures
- Invading another person's "space"
- Touching-brushes, pats, hugs, shoulder/back rubs or pinches