Nasim Fazel, MD, DDS, MAS, FAAD
Nasim Fazel, MD, DDS, MAS, FAAD
Dr. Fazel, Professor of Clinical Dermatology, is a board-certified dermatologist and dentist. Dr. Fazel has a special interest in the medical management of oral mucosal diseases. Her background in dentistry provides for insight into the pathophysiology and treatment of oral mucosal disorders such as oral lichen planus, recurrent aphthous stomatitis, Behçet’s disease, burning mouth syndrome, and oral vesiculobullous diseases (e.g., pemphigus and pemphigoid). Her primary research interest is focused on oral lichen planus including the epigenetics and pathogenesis of the disease, diagnostic devices in translational biophotonics, quality of life measures and potential novel therapies for refractory disease including IVIG and stem cell therapy. Dr. Fazel is a nationally recognized leading expert in the field of oral mucosal disease.
Title: Professor of Clinical Dermatology Director, Oral Mucosal Disease Clinic
Specialty: Oral Mucosal Disease, Medical Dermatology
Medical Education: University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 1995-1999, M.D.
Internship: Oakwood Healthcare System, Dearborn, Michigan 1999-2000
Residency: Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, Michigan 2000-2003, Dermatology
Post-graduate Education: University of California Davis, Davis, California 2007-2009, M.A.S.
Dental Education: Northwestern University Dental School, Chicago, Illinois 1990-1993, D.D.S.
American Board of Dermatology, 2003
Northeastern Regional Board of Dentistry,1994
Professor, 2017-current, University of California Davis, Department of Dermatology
Director, Dermatology Residency Program, 2012-2015, University of California Davis, Department of Dermatology
Associate Professor, 2011-2017, University of California Davis, Department of Dermatology
Director, Dermatology Residency Program, 2008-2010, University of California Davis, Department of Dermatology
Associate Director, Dermatology Residency Program, 2005-2008, University of California Davis, Department of Dermatology
Assistant Professor, 2004-2011, University of California Davis, Department of Dermatology
Lecturer, 1994-1995, University of Michigan School of Dentistry, Department of Oral Medicine, Surgery, and Pathology
Clinical Instructor, 1994, Northwestern University Dental School, Department of Fixed Prosthodontics
Sacramento Valley Dermatologic Society, past president
American Academy of Dermatology, fellow
Association of Professors of Dermatology
Sacramento District Dental Society
Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honorary Society
Oral mucosal disease
Stem cell therapy
Oral lichen planus
Honors and awards:
Employee Excellence in Compassion Award, UC Davis Health System, 2015
Early graduation with highest honors, Northwestern University Dental School, Chicago, Illinois, 1993
Alpha Omega Scholar Award, 1994
Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honorary Society Award, 1994
International College of Dentists Award, 1994
- Time-resolved fluorescence spectroscopy for the diagnosis of oral lichen planus. Gorpas D, Davari P, Bec J, Fung MA, Marcu L, Farwell, Fazel N. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2018 Jul;43(5):546-552.
- Oral mucosa biology and salivary biomarkers. Qin R, Sukhov A, Fazel N. Clin Dermatol. 2017 Sep-Oct;35(5):477-483..
- Etiology, evaluation and management of xerostomia. Millsop JW, Wang EA, Fazel N. Clin Dermatol. 2017 Sep-Oct;35(5):468-476.
- A diagnostic and therapeutic approach to burning mouth syndrome. Moghadam-Kia S, Fazel N. Clin Dermatol. 2017 Sep-Oct;35(5):453-460
- Therapeutic efficacy of fresh allogeneic mesenchymal stems cells for severe fractory feline chronic gingivostomatitis. Arzi, B, Clark KC, Sundaram A, Spriet M, Verstraete FJ, Walker NJ, Loscar MR, Fazel N, Murphy WJ, Vapniarsky N, Borjesson DL. Stem Cells Transl Med. 2017 Aug;6(8):1710-1722.
- The Residency interview is still paramount: Results of a Retrospective Cohort Study on Concordance of Dermatology Residency Applicant Evaluators and Influence of the Applicant Interview. Kamangar F, Davari P, Azari R, Fitzmaurice S, Li CS, Eisen DB, Fazel N. Dermatol Online J. 2017 May 22;23(5).
- Human and feline adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells have comparable immunomodulatory functions and transcriptome. Clark KC, Fierro FA, Mills Ko E, Walker NJ, Arzi B, Tepper CG, Dahlenburg H, Cicchetto A, Kol A, Marsh LJ, Murphy WJ, Fazel N, Borjesson DL. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2017 Mar 20;8(1).
- Oral Candidiasis. Millsop JW, Fazel N. Clin Dermatol.2016 Jul-Aug;34(4):487-94.
- Practical Pearls for Oral Procedures. P Davari, Fazel N. Clin Dermatol.2016 Jul-Aug;34(4):440-8.
- Therapeutic efficacy of fresh, autologous mesenchymal stem cells for severe refractory gingivostomatitis in cats. Arzi B, Mills-Ko E, Verstraete FJM, Kol A, Walker NJ, Badgley MR, Fazel N, Murphy WM, Vapniarsky N, Borjesson DL.Stem Cells Transl Med. 2016 Jan;5(1): 75-86.
- Clinical features of Behçet’s disease: A retrospective chart review of 26 patients. Davari P, Rogers RS, Chan B, Nagler TH, Fazel N. J Dermatolog Treat. 2016;27(1):70-4.
- Oral manifestations of connective tissue disease and novel therapeutic approaches. Heath RK, Rogers RR, Fazel N.Dermatol Online J. 2015 Oct 16;21(10).
- Factors influencing applicants’ ranking of dermatology residency programs in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). Tuong W, Fazel N, Eisen DB. JAMA Dermatol. 2015 Dec 1;151(12):1378-1380.
- Mucosal lichen planus: An evidence-based treatment update. Davari P, Hsiao HH, Fazel N. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2014 Jul;15(3):181-95
- AdrenergicSignaling in HumanOral Keratinocytes and Wound Repair.Steenhuis P, Huntley RE, Gurenko Z, Yin L, Dale BA, Fazel N, Isseroff RR. J Dental Research. 2011 Feb 90(2):186-92.