Daniel Eisen, M.D.
Dr. Eisen is director of dermatologic surgery and head of the micrographic and dermatologic oncology fellowship program at the University of California Davis Medical Center. He is board-certified in dermatology and a fellow of the American College of Mohs Surgery. Since completing a fellowship in Mohs surgery, he has performed thousands of skin cancer surgeries and trained many well-respected surgeons. His clinical and research interests include: surgical outcome studies, hidradenitis suppurativa, common and rare types of skin cancers, lasers, photodynamic therapy, and patient centered care. His research has been presented at national and international dermatology meetings and has resulted in more than 70 peer reviewed publications. In addition, Dr. Eisen has an active interest in medical education. He was selected for and completed a one-year-long "Teaching Scholars" program. Though research and teaching are important to him, patient care is his passion. Making patients feel comfortable during their procedures and achieving the best possible outcomes for them is his top priority.
Title: Professor of Clinical Dermatology, Director of Dermatologic Surgery
Specialty: Dermatology, aesthetic dermatology, laser surgery, Mohs surgery, and reconstructive surgery
Undergraduate Education: University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire
Medical Education: Hahnemann University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Residency: Washington Hospital Center, Washington, D.C.
Dermatology Fellowships: University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology
American Academy of Dermatology
American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
American College of Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology
Sacramento Valley Dermatologic Society
- Ibrahimi OA, Bangash H, Green L, Alam M, Armstrong AW, Eisen DB. Perceptions of Expertise in Cutaneous Surgery and Cosmetic Procedures: What Primary Care Physicians Think. Dermatol Surg. 2012 Sep 7. doi: 10.1111/j.1524-4725.2012.02577.x. [Epub ahead of print] [PubMed]
- Bach DQ, Garcia MS, Eisen DB. Hyperpigmented burn scar improved with a fractionated 1550 nm non-ablative laser. Dermatol Online J 2012;18:12. [PubMed]
- Ibrahimi OA, Jim On SC, Fung MA, Eisen DB. A longstanding deep-seated nuchal tumor. International journal of dermatology 2012;51:910-2. [PubMed]
- Wu W, Ibrahimi OA, Eisen DB. Cheek Advancement Flap with Retained Standing Cone for Reconstruction of a Defect Involving the Upper Lip, Nasal Sill, Alar Insertion, and Medial Cheek. Dermatol Surg 2012. [PubMed]
- Ibrahimi OA, Campbell T, Youker S, Eisen DB. Nonanatomic free cartilage batten grafting with second intention healing for defects on the distal nose. J Drugs Dermatol 2012;11:46-50. [PubMed]
- Ibrahimi OA, Sharon V, Eisen DB. Surgical-site infections and routes of bacterial transfer: which ones are most plausible? Dermatol Surg 2011;37:1709-20. [PubMed]
- Bagheri S and Eisen DB. Long Pulsed Nd-Yag Laser Effective For Amiodarone Hyperpigmentation. Dermatologic Surgery. 2011;37:1539-41.
- Bagheri S, King TH, Justiniano H, and Eisen DB. Maintaining tissue orientation during mohs micrographic surgery: scalpel versus marker. Dermatologic Surgery. 2011;37:1412-6.
- Eisen DB. Treatment of Hidradenitis Suppurativa; What’s new? Cosmetic Dermatology. 2011;24:226-38.
- Lin B and Eisen DB. Facial Blanching After Cutaneous Injections: Cannulation Of Branches Of The Ophthalmic Artery. Case Series And Review Of The Literature. Dermatol Surg. 2011 Apr;37(4):530-5. doi: 10.1111/j.1524-4725.2011.01930.x. Epub 2011 Mar 17. [PubMed]
- Campbell T, Eisen DB. Free Cartilage Grafts for Alar Defects Coupled with Secondary-Intention Healing. Dermatol Surg. 2011;37:510-3. [PubMed]
- Merin MR, Fung MA, Eisen DB, Lin LK. Histoplasmosis Presenting as a Cutaneous Malignancy of the Eyelid. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011;27:e41-2. [PubMed]
- Eisen DB. Surgeon's garb and infection control: What's the evidence?J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011;64:960 e1-20. [PubMed]
- Ho C, Sangha R, Beckett L, Tanaka M, Lau DH, Eisen DB, et al. Escalating weekly doses of cetuximab and correlation with skin toxicity: a phase I study. Invest New Drugs 2011;29:680-7.[PubMed]
- Merin MR and Eisen DB. Inherited syndromes. Invited article. Dermatol Ther. 2010 Nov;23(6):606-42. doi: 10.1111/j.1529 8019.2010.01368.x. [PubMed]
- Garcia MS, Azari R, and Eisen DB. Treatment of Dermatosis Papulosa Nigra In 10 Patients: A Comparison Trial of Electrodessication, Pulsed Dye Laser, And Curettage. Dermatologic Surgery, Dermatol Surg. 2010 Oct 11. doi: 10.1111/j.1524-4725.2010.01769.x.
- Campbell TM and Eisen DB. Electrobrasion - an Alternative to Dermabrasion. Dermatol Surg. 2010 Nov;36(11):1739-42. doi: 10.1111/j.1524-4725.2010.01729.x. Epub 2010 Sep 21.
- Cheng LS, Mulgrew K, Lin S, Idriss N, Eisen DB, Fung MA, Armstrong AW. A pale version. Am J Med. 2010 Sep;123(9):802-4. No abstract available. [PubMed]
- Armstrong AW, Alikhan A, Cheng LS, Kurlinkus C, Eisen DB. Portable Video Media for Presenting Informed Consent and Wound Care Instructions for Skin Biopsies: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Br J Dermatol. 2010 Nov;163(5):1014-9.
- Sharon V, Eisen DB, Fung MA. Cutaneous septic emboli from Candida tropicalis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2010 Sep;10(9):652. No abstract available. [PubMed]
- Campbell T and Eisen DB. Fractionated Electroblation – Using electro surgery for cutaneous redundancies and bulky flaps. Dermatol Online J. 2010 Jun 15;16(6):10. [PubMed]
- Ibrahimi OA, Eisen DB, Avram MM, Robins P. Ten pearls for identifying the right dermatologic surgery fellowship for you. J Drugs Dermatol. 2010 Apr;9(4):421-4. No abstract available. [PubMed]
- Zhang C, Fung M, and Eisen DB. Disseminated Fusariosis Presenting as Panniculitis-Like Lesions on the Legs of a Neutropenic Girl with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Dermatology Online Journal, Volume 15, Number 10, October 2009. [PubMed]
- Eisen DB, Michael DJ. Sebaceous lesions and their associated syndromes: Part II. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2009. 61(4): 563-78. [PubMed]
- Eisen DB, Michael DJ. Sebaceous lesions and their associated syndromes: Part I. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2009; 61(4): 549-60. [PubMed]
- Justiniano H, Eisen DB. Pearls for perfecting the mastoid interpolation flap. Dermatol Online J, 2009; 15(6): 2. [PubMed]
- Justiniano H, Eisen DB. Closure of dehisced operative sites without wound freshening results in acceptable rates of repeat dehiscence and infection. Br J Dermatol. 2009. [PubMed]
- Justiniano H, Edwards J, Eisen DB. Paramedian forehead flap thinning using a flexible razor blade. Dermatol Online J, 2009;15(3):12. [PubMed]
- Results of a survey regarding perioperative antiseptic practices. Eisen DB, Warshawski L, Zloty D, Azari R. J Cutan Med Surg. 2009 May-Jun;13(3):134-9. [PubMed]
- Alikhan A, Lynch PJ, and Eisen DB. Hidradenitis Suppurativa; a comprehensive review. J Am Acad Dermatol 2009;60:539-61. [PubMed]
- Eisen DB and Fazel N. Treatment of gingival mucosal fibromas using CO² laser and electrosurgery in a patient with tuberous sclerosis. Dermatology Online Journal 2008, 14(11):7. [PubMed]
- Zand S, Mumm C, and Eisen DB. Nodule on the Toe after Traveling to Africa. Arch Dermatol. 2008 Aug;144(8):1051-6. [PubMed]
- Zhang Y, Tang L, Su M, Eisen D, Zloty D, Warshawski L, Zhou Y. Expression of endothelins and their receptors in nonmelanoma skin cancers. J Cutan Med Surg. 2006 Nov-Dec;10(6):269-76. [PubMed]
- Eisen D. Photodynamic Therapy For Cosmetic Indications. Cosmetic Dermatology 2006;19(5): 357-362.
- Eisen DB and Zloty D. Microcystic Adnexal Carcinoma involving a large portion of the face; when is surgery not reasonable? Dermatologic Surgery 2005;31(11 pt 1):1472-7. [PubMed]
- Eisen D and Brown E. Necrotizing fasciitis following a motor vehicle accident with candida species as the sole organism. Canadian Journal of Plastic Surgery 2004;12(1):43-46.
- Eisen D, Lack E, Biovert M, Nigra T. Giant Tumor of the Back. Archives of Dermatology 2002;138:1246-1251. [PubMed]
- Eisen D and Alster A. Use of a 585 nm Pulsed Dye Laser For The Treatment of Morphea. Dermatologic Surgery 2002; 28:7:615-616. [PubMed]
Letters to the Editor:
- Kleinerman R, Ibrahimi OA, Eisen DB. Letter: re: sentinel node biopsy should be offered in thin melanoma with mitotic rate greater than one. Dermatol Surg 2012;38:290-2
- Eisen DB. To the editor: Re: Dehisced clean wound: resuture it or Steri-Strip it? Dermatol Surg 2005;31:613; author reply
- Book Chapter. Hsiao F, Boch G, and Eisen DB. Laser Wound Healing. 2012.
- Lyme Disease. Fitzpatrick’s Dermatology in General Medicine, Eighth edition, Hu L, Mahalingam M, Bhawan J, Chomat A-M, Eisen DB, and Hu L.
To schedule an appointment and to see if Dr. Eisen is accepting new patients please call: 916-734-6111.