Carlito Lebrilla, Ph.D.
2465 Chemistry Annex
Research in the group is focused on analytical chemistry with specific emphasis in the area of nutrition, disease markers, and mass spectrometric methods. Our area of study is as diverse as the students who take part. Students come from all disciplines of chemistry including analytical, physical, organic, and biological, as well as from other departments including engineering and food science. Our expertise in oligosaccharides and glycosylation of proteins and lipids make our group unique. Our efforts in science are also broad, encompassing instrument construction and development to investigating biological problems. This broad-based approach provides us with unique perspectives that we employ to our specific scientific problems.
Li B., H.J. An, J.L. Hedrick, and C.B. Lebrilla. Infrared multiphoton dissociation mass spectrometry for structural elucidation of oligosaccharides. Methods in Molecular Biology 2009. 534:23-35.
Li B., H.J. An, J.L. Hedrick, and C.B. Lebrilla. Collision-induced dissociation tandem mass spectrometry for structural elucidation of glycans. Methods in Molecular Biology 2009. 534:133-145.
Cooke C.L., H.J. An, J. Kim, D.R. Canfield, J. Torres, C.B. Lebrilla, and J.V. Solnick. Modification of gastric mucin oligosaccharide expression in rhesus macaques after infection with Helicobacter pylori. Gastroenterology 2009. 137:1061-1071.
Tao N., E.J. DePeters, J.B. German, R. Grimm, and C.B. Lebrilla. Variations in bovine milk oligosaccharides during early and middle lactation stages analyzed by HPLC-Chip/mass spectrometry. Journal of Dairy Science, 2009. 92:2991-3001.
Dodds E.D., F. Tassone, P.J. Hagerman, and C.B. Lebrilla. Polymerase chain reaction, nuclease digestion, and mass spectrometry based assay for the trinucleotide repeat status of the Fragile X mental retardation 1 gene. Analytical Chemistry, 2009. 81:5533-40.
Barkauskas D.A., S.R. Kronewitter, C.B. Lebrilla, and D.M. Rocke. Analysis of MALDI FT-ICR mass spectrometry data: A time series approach. Children's Oncology Group, Arcadia, CA, USA. Department of Chemistry, University of California, Davis, CA, USA. Division of Biostatistics, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA, USA. Analytica Chimica Acta 2009. 648:207-214.
An H.J. and C.B. Lebrilla. Profiling of glycome: A glycomics approach for the discovery of potential cancer biomarkers. Methods in Molecular Biology: Functional Glycomics, 2009. in press.
An H.J., J.W. Froehlich, C.B. Lebrilla. Determination of glycosylation sites and site-specific heterogeneity in glycoproteins. Current Opinion in Chemical Biology 5, in press.
Barile D., N. Tao, C.B. Lebrilla, J.D. Coissonc, M. Arlorioc and J.B. German. Permeate from cheese whey ultrafiltration is a source of milk oligosaccharides. 2009. International Dairy Journal 19:524-530.
Ninonuevo M.R. and C.B. Lebrilla. Mass spectrometric methods for oligosaccharides analysis in human milk: Developments and applications. Nutrition Reviews, in press.
An H.J., S.R. Kronewitter, M.L.A. de Leoz, and C.B. Lebrilla. Glycomics and disease markers. Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, 2009. in press.
Upper division courses
- 192 Internship in Biological Chemistry
- 198 Group Study
- 199 Special Study for Advanced Undergraduates
- 298 Group Study
- 299 Research
Professional courses for medical students
- 498 Group Study
- 499 Research
- National Science Foundation Extension for Creativity
- Stockton Unified School District Alumni of the Year
- Alexander von Humboldt Postdoctoral Fellow
- NATO-NSF Postdoctoral Fellow
- University of California President's PostDoctoral Fellow
- University of California Regents Graduate Fellow
- Co-Chief Editor, Mass Spectrometry Reviews 2002-present
- Editorial Advisory Board, European Journal of Mass Spectrometry 1995-Present
- Editorial Advisory Board, Mass Spectrometry Reviews 1998-Present
- Editorial Advisory Board, Int. J. of Mass Spectrometry, 2000-Present
- Editorial Advisory Board, J. American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 2004-2009
- Guest Editor, International Journal of Mass Spectrometry 1998
- Chartered Member NIH Study Section on Emerging Biotechnology (2000-2005)
- Executive Board American Society for Mass Spectrometry 2004-2006
- Agilent Technologies
- National Institutes of Health (General Medicine, Child Health)
- Dairy Management
- UC Discovery Grant
- California Dairy Research Foundation