UC Davis School of Medicine Women in
Medicine and Health Science (WIMHS)
UC Davis School of Medicine Women in Medicine and Health Science (WIMHS) is in alliance with WIMS in medical schools throughout the nation through its interactions with the AAMC Group on Women in Medicine and Science (GWIMS). We partner with the medical student group with a similar mission, American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA.)
The mission of UC Davis School of Medicine Women in Medicine and Health Science is to ensure the full participation and success of women in all roles within academic medicine.
Promote policies, practices, and programs that advance women’s participation and success by:
- Advocating for women’s advancement and leadership in education, research, clinical practice, and administration
- Promoting sustainable strategies to enhance an institutional climate of inclusion, equity and opportunity
- Collecting, analyzing, and applying data to inform institutional and individual decisions and actions
- Developing and disseminating initiatives, resources, and mentoring and professional career development programs
- Recognizing women’s accomplishments
- Creating opportunities for networking,
- Working with AAMC and other medical schools to advance women in medicine and science nationally
Networking and enhancing institutional climate for inclusion:
Each year we host a early welcome event for new women faculty with other members of WIMS and the school of medicine leadership. This is a social networking event where each new woman faculty is introduced and has an opportunity to meet other women and the school of medicine leadership in a relaxed setting.
Past mentoring and professional career development programs
- October 27, 2011 - Lunchtime drop-in clinic for career advice, Sacramento.
- November 3, 2010 - Lunchtime drop-in clinic for career advice, Davis.
- September 29, 2010 - Lunchtime drop-in clinic for career advice.
Recognizing women’s accomplishments:
WIMS created a book: Under the Plane Tree, “Celebrating Our Founding Women in Medicine”. In this book, women who joined our faculty at UC Davis School of Medicine’s inception in 1969 until 1990, were featured and provided vignettes from their careers in academic medicine to inspire future women in medicine and science. The book was conceived to honor and recognize the Founding women of the school of medicine. A recognition event that included a generation of panelist discussed the status of women at UC Davis School of Medicine over the decades. This event included faculty, residents, and student supporters of WIMS/AMWA and the school of medicine leadership including the wife of the SOM Founding Dean.
Honoring Founding Faculty:
Women in Medicine honor the founding female faculty members of the UC Davis School of Medicine at a special event on January 21, 2009. The book Under the Plane Tree — Celebrating Our Founding Women in Medicine (PDF) is a tribute to the school's pioneering women faculty.
Advocating for Leadership
Each year, our school selects and financial supports promising women faculty to attend national career development and leadership programs. Watch for e-mail announcements soliciting candidates who would like to considered for the following programs:
- AAMC Early Career Women's Professional Development Seminar (July)
- AAMC Mid Career Women's Professional Development Seminar (December)
- Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine
Working with the AAMC:
Our WIMS maintains an active presence at the national level, by participating in the AAMC Group on Women in Medicine and Science (GWIMS). Our GWIMS representatives are Lydia P. Howell, M.D. and Amparo Villablanca, M.D.
January 9, 2013
January 7, 2013
Location: Ed Bldg., Room 1222
April 8, 2013
Speaker: Dr. Christine Sorkness
12:00-1:00 pm Lecture.
Location: Education Building, Room 1204