Recipe: Heart healthy warm spinach salad
A tasty way to get your greens!
This recipe is from chef Charles Connell of the DoubleTree by Hilton, Sacramento, who together with Marie Barone, dietitian with the UC Davis Health Management and Education Program, created the heart-healthy luncheon for the 2016 Women's Heart Care Forum, an education and awareness event sponsored by the UC Davis Women's Cardiovascular Medicine Program.
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Cracked pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons walnut oil
- 8 cups baby spinach leaves (trimmed, washed and dried)
- 2 cups fresh diced pears with skins
- ½ cup toasted walnut halves
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup dried Roma tomatoes
- 1 cup julienned bell peppers
- 1 cup thin-sliced radishes
In a small bowl, combine vinegar, shallots, mustard and pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil until creamy. Put spinach in a large bowl, add remaining vegetables and toss. Warm the dressing over low heat in a small sauté pan. Toss the vegetables with the dressing. Top with walnuts and pecans. Serve immediately.