Accomplishments in 2011
- Awarded Practice Greenhealth “Partner for Change” Award
- Best waste diversion rate of all UC Medical Centers
- Solar Panels installed on Parking Structure 3
- Electric Vehicle charging stations installed in Parking Structure 3
- Expanded reprocessing of single use medical devices (SUDs)
- Developed Waste Diversion Plan
- Installed bi-level LED lighting in the stairwells of Davis Tower and the Lawrence J. Ellison Ambulatory Care Center
- Food and Nutrition Services procured 38 percent of food items from sustainable sources
- Create a Sustainability website by December 2012
- Complete draft comprehensive Utility Master Plan (UMP) by December 2012.
- Prioritize list of energy efficiency projects in the UMP and secure approval and funding for priority projects by December 2013.
- Replace disposable warm-up jackets with washable equivalents by July 2013.
- Investigate the implementation of the replacement of disposable surgical linens with washable linens.
- Develop a formal structure for surplus medical equipment and supply donation program (social justice) by July 2013
- Enhance our alternative transportation program and identify further resources for an enriched Transportation Demand Management Program by December 2013 (exceeding the goals of the Long Rance Development Plan in 2010).
- Develop a formal plan for reprocessing of single use medical devices by July 2013
- Increase awareness of sustainability efforts via a proactive communication plan and the creation of Green Advocates to promote sustainability on the local level.
- Create a central source of updates and information on efforts and opportunities for environmental stewardships objectives.
- Increase waste diversion in the operating rooms and procedural areas.
- Minimize the amount of health system-generated waste sent to the landfill.
- Incorporate alternative means of transportation to/from and within the campus to improve the quality of life on campus and in the surrounding community.
- Apply energy efficiency/conservation measures that reduce energy consumption and optimize the use of renewable energy sources.
- Actively promote a culture that values sustainability.