If you have a colorectal disorder, you want to know that your care is in the best hands possible. At UC Davis, our colorectal surgery team includes doctors who have dedicated their careers to treating patients with even the most complicated colorectal conditions. We work side by side with specially trained nurses and genetic counselors to meet your every need.
Our extended team draws on the nationally recognized expertise of other UC Davis programs, including the UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center. This team approach helps us provide you with the comprehensive, compassionate care you need.
The Colorectal Surgery Team at UC Davis
Our surgical team brings more than 20 years of colorectal surgery experience, with expertise in delivering compassionate and state of the art care. Our entire team of specialists is committed to helping you have the best possible experience.
Our team includes:
- Colorectal surgeons: Our surgeons are Linda M. Farkas, M.D. and Salvador Guevara, M.D. Dr. Farkas and Dr. Guevara are fellowship trained and board certified in both general surgery and colon and rectal surgery, meaning they have completed advanced training and passed intensive examinations. Dr. Farkas and Dr. Guevara have dedicated their careers to delivering the latest surgical and non-surgical treatments for colorectal disease.
- Nurse practitioner: Abigail Weston, M.S.N., is an advance practice nurse (nurse practitioner) specializing in gastrointestinal care. She is solely dedicated to the colorectal surgery program and works with patients and referring physicians to ensure each patient receives personalized care. Find out more about how we work with referring physicians.
- Nurse navigator: Nanako Yip, R.N., is the program's nurse navigator. She works with patients to help coordinate their care throughout their treatment, including scheduling appointments and offering patient education.
- Specialized nurses: Denise Barton, B.S.N., R.N., P.H.N., C.W.O.N. is a certified wound ostomy nurse who helps patients who have lost bowel functioning return to everyday activities. She can help you learn how to take care of the special opening in your intestines (stoma) and manage medical supplies which help you eliminate stool.
- Genetic counselors: We work closely with UC Davis Cancer Center's licensed genetic counseling experts to deliver comprehensive assessments for inherited forms of colorectal cancer. Learn more about genetic counseling at UC Davis.
Our Team Approach for Colorectal Disease
We believe that a team approach and coordinated care lead to better treatments and long-term results. We frequently partner with colleagues from other UC Davis programs to deliver comprehensive care for complex conditions.
For example, we partner with gastrointestinal (GI) experts to review your diagnostic tests and discuss all possible treatment options. Our goal is to try to preserve as much of your intestines as possible. We work as a team along with you and your family to come up with a plan that best meets your unique needs. UC Davis is the only program in the Sacramento area using this multi-specialty approach.
UC Davis departments and programs we commonly work with include:
- UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Department of Urology
- Urogynecology (Continence and Pelvic Floor Center)
- Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine
- Department of Medical Oncology
- Department of Radiation Oncology
- Department of Pathology
- Department of Radiology