Gretchen A. Casazza, Ph.D.
- Director of Research
- Sports Performance Lab Supervisor
Sports Medicine Program
2805 J St. Suite 300
Sacramento, Ca 95816
B.S. Physical Education, University of California, Davis 1989
M.S. Exercise Science, University of California, Davis 1994
Ph.D. Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley 2003
Faculty for the UCD Exercise Science Graduate Group
American College of Sports Medicine
The effects of ovarian hormones on musculoskeletal health, risk of injury,
and exercise performance and metabolism. Other interests include optimizing
training in competitive athletes and exercise therapy as a mechanism to
prevent disease and co-morbidities.
- Suh SH, Casazza GA, Horning MA, Miller BF, Brooks GA. Effects of oral
contraceptives on glucose flux and substrate oxidation rates during rest
and exercise. J Appl Physiol. 2002 Sep 20
- Casazza GA, Suh SH, Miller BF, Navazio FM, Brooks GA. Effects of oral
contraceptives on peak exercise capacity. J Appl Physiol. 2002 Nov; 93(5):1698-702.
- Suh SH, Casazza GA, Horning MA, Miller BF, Brooks GA. Luteal and follicular
glucose fluxes during rest and exercise in 3-h postabsorptive women. J
Appl Physiol. 2002 Jul;93(1):42-50.
- Bergman BC, Horning MA, Casazza
GA, Wolfel EE, Butterfield GE, Brooks GA. Endurance training increases
gluconeogenesis during rest and exercise in men. Am J Physiol Endocrinol
Metab. 2000 Feb;278(2):E244-51.
- Bergman BC, Wolfel EE, Butterfield
GE, Lopaschuk GD, Casazza GA, Horning MA, Brooks GA. Active muscle and
whole body lactate kinetics after endurance training in men. J Appl Physiol.
- Friedlander AL, Casazza GA, Horning MA, Usaj
A, Brooks GA. Endurance training increases fatty acid turnover, but not
fat oxidation, in young men. J Appl Physiol. 1999 Jun;86(6):2097-105.
- Friedlander AL, Casazza GA, Horning MA, Huie MJ, Piacentini MF, Trimmer
JK, Brooks GA. Training-induced alterations of carbohydrate metabolism
in women: women respond differently from men. J Appl Physiol. 1998 Sep;85(3):1175-86.