How do I prepare for my breast MRI exam?
- You will be asked to arrive 20 minutes prior to your appointment.
- During check-in process you will be asked to fill out the MRI Safety Form, Click Here to view the form.
- You will be asked to change into a hospital gown and lock up your belongings.
- There are no preparations and you can eat and drink prior to your exam.
- Breast MRI exams are done only in ACC (Ambulatory Care Center) click here for directions.
- Please use a restroom prior to your exam.
What will happen during my breast MRI exam?
- An IV will be placed to administer contrast.
- Female staff or a second male chaperone will be present during positioning, and every effort will be made to make you as comfortable as possible.
- It is very important to hold still throughout the entire exam, as motion degrades the images.
- There is no stopping during the exam to take a break or move around, as the breasts need to remain in the same position.
- Please take medication to help you relax if you need it.
- Please take medication for a cough or allergies and things of that nature. Coughing will cause motion on the images. Consider rescheduling if you are ill, or currently suffering from severe allergy issues.
- The technologist will speak to you throughout the exam.
- The exam will be 25-35 minutes, depending on your medical history.