Orthopaedic Residency Program Director
3301 C St., Suite 1500
Sacramento, CA 95816
B.S., UC Irvine, Irvine, California, 1985
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, recertification, 2007
North American Spine Society
Scoliosis Research Society
Honors and Awards:
Outstanding Faculty Award, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, 2005
Outstanding Faculty Award, Dept. of Orthopaedics, University of Arizona. Teaching award conferred by graduating residents., 2002
Outstanding Faculty Award, Dept. of Orthopaedics, University of Arizona, 2000
President's Undergraduate Fellowship Recipient. National award funding research of DNA sequence analysis of D. melanogaster dopa decarboxylase gene., 1984
Select Recent Publications:
1. Enoch Leung, Nesrin Sarigul-Klijn, Rolando Roberto, Characterization of Irregular stress distributions induced by klippel feil syndrome, Proceedings of the ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress Exposition, IMECE2011-63343, November 11-17, 2011, Denver, Colorado, USA, 2011
2. Roberto, R. Fritz, A. Hagar, Y. Boice, B. Skalsky, A. Hwang, H. Mitsunaga, K. Beckett, L. McDonald, C. Gupta, M. the Natural History of Cardiac and Pulmonary Function Decline in Patients with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Spine.36(15) E1009-1017. July 2011.
3. Roberto RF. McDonald T, Curtiss S, Neu CP, Kim K, Pennings F, “Kinematics of Progressive Circumferential Ligament Resection (Decompression) in Conjunction with Cervical Disc Arthroplasty in a Spondylotic Spine Model. Spine 35 (18) 1676-83. August 2010
7. Huang, P., MD, PhD, Sarigul-Klijn, N., PhD, Hazelwood, S., PhD, Gupta, M. MD, Roberto, R., MD. Design of Biomechanical testing methods and metrics to evaluate the performance of synthetic spinal implants versus bone graft for Lumbar Corpectomy. Journal of Biomechanics, 2008.
8. Dezfuli, B. Roberto, R.; Spondylolysis Effects and Repair in A Calf Spine Model.:January 2007 - Journal of Investigative Medicine: Volume 55 - Issue 1 - p S154February 3, 2007
9. Porter, S, Roberto, R. A Retrospective Review of the Anterior and Posterior Approaches To Subaxial Cervical Dislocations and Fracture Subluxation, Journal of Investigative Medicine 54(1) S115 Jan 2006.
Szivek JA, Roberto RF, Margolis OS. In vivo strain measurements from hardware and lamina during spine fusion. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater, 75(2): 243-50. 2005
Lewicky YM, Roberto RF, Curtin SL. The unique complications of coccidioidomycosis of the spine: a detailed time line of disease progression and suppression. Spine, 29(19): E435-41. 2004
Szivek JA, Roberto RF, Slack JM, Majeed BS. An implantable strain measurement system designed to detect spine fusion: preliminary results from a biomechanical in vivo study. Spine, 27(5): 487-97. 2002