For the 14th consecutive year, UC Davis Medical Center has been selected as a Consumer Choice Award winner by the National Research Corporation (NRC).
The 2012 award recognizes a single hospital in each of 300 markets nationwide that health-care consumers choose as providing the highest-quality health care.
"I congratulate the medical teams who work so hard to ensure that UC Davis is the preferred destination for care in our region," said Ann Madden Rice, chief executive officer of UC Davis Medical Center. "This recognition is an important indicator of the trust our patients and the greater Sacramento community place in us to provide the high standards for patient-centered services and safety."
The award is based on a survey conducted between Sept. 1, 2011, and Aug. 30, 2012, that included 250,000 households and 3,200 hospitals throughout the continental U.S. Health-care decision makers were asked to rate their local hospitals on multiple quality and image ratings, from best doctors to highest patient safety.
Out of 20 hospitals in the Sacramento region, UC Davis Medical Center received the highest percentage of "best" ratings in 10 areas, including:
• Best overall quality (18.9 percent; the next highest was 12.87 percent)
• Best image and reputation (23.28 percent; the next highest was 11.78 percent)
• Latest technology and equipment (30.65 percent; the next highest was 13.18 percent)
• Widest range of services (27.36 percent; the next highest was 13.71 percent)
• Highest patient safety (18.93 percent; the next highest was 13.68 percent)
According to NRC, the survey is the nation's largest and most comprehensive consumer assessment of the health-care industry. The study has a margin of error of plus or minus 0.2 percent at a national level. Based on the most recent outcomes, NRC is recognizing 296 hospitals with 2012 consumer choice awards. For more information, visit http://www.nationalresearch.com/