Despite the strong headwinds through the month of May and the unexpected cooler weather, Bike Month Challenge participants from UC Davis Health rode through it all.
Together they pedaled nearly 24,500 overall miles during the month, which placed UC Davis fourth in the region for miles replaced by bike. (The Sacramento region puts heavy emphases on replacement miles, the number of miles a bicycle replaced a car trip.)
The regional campaign also tracks Trips Taken as well, which looks at those people who live close by work, commute daily and use a bike as their main mode of transportation. While their overall mileage might not get high, their impact is substantial, said Sara Janus, green commuter program coordinator at UC Davis Health.
"It’s in Trips Taken that UC Health really stepped up!" Janus said. "We placed third in the region among large businesses, with 2,439 Trips Replaced, ahead of both Kaiser and Sutter! That's a way to show the region that we know how to leave our cars behind and bike instead!
In support of Bike Month, Parking & Transportation offered two different classroom style bike clinics, Basic Bicycling and Peaceful Coexistence. To spread the word about the month long event, three different informational events were held at various locations, including the Farmer’s Market. In celebration of the effort the health system hosted and a “Bike to Work Day” event that included distribution of official Bike Month t-shirts and a snack for those who rode in.
Top 10 cyclists at UC Davis Health
- Scott Northouse, Plant Operations & Maintenance, Electrical Department – 1606 miles
- Eddy Avellaneda, Facilities Design and Construction — 1,506.5 miles
- Cyrus Bateni, Department of Radiology- 1,390.1 miles
- D. Shane Barok, Post Anesthesia Care Unit — 1,001 miles
- Christopher Bowlus, Gastroenterology - 930.70 miles
- David Murguia, Distribution — 895 miles
- Paul Broyer, PM&R Department - 786.1 miles
- Jennifer Keyser, Clinical Hematology Laboratory - 705.5 miles
- Mike LaClair, Cardiology (Roseville PCN) — 576.6 miles
- Suzanne Pontow, Stem Cell Program - 521.2 miles
Top Trip Replacement: Scott Clark, with 80 trips in May
Regional Weekly Random Prize Winners by Week – May is Bike Month Socks
- May 8 – Joyce Stastny
- May 15 – Craig Allen and Jon Hunt
- May 22 – Hadley Sauers-Ford
- May 29 – Yvonne Sundahl and Kim Franz
- June 5 – Wai Chong, Mike LaClair and Garth Utter
Outstanding Cyclist: Mark Fountain, Electrical Engineering