In addition to core psychiatry and internal medicine training, internal medicine/psychiatry (IMP) residents receive a comprehensive combined or integrated curriculum. During the first few years of the program, the educational focus is on learning the basics of each discipline. During PGY 3-5, an emphasis is placed on learning how to deliver integrated medical/psychiatric care. IMP residents are provided individual and group faculty mentorship which help them develop skills in this area as community and academic leaders, clinicians and educators. The following is an overview of IMP residency lecture-based and clinic-based integrated curriculum.
- 1st Monday of each month: Med Psych Residency Journal Review (MPR JR)
Combined residents present a recent article at the interface of general medicine and psychiatry to students, residents and faculty. The key learning objective is to accurately evaluate medical literature and further develop clinical skills as a med/psych physician.
- 2nd Monday of each month: Med Psych Case Conference (MPC)
Combined residents (excluding interns) present a grand rounds style, interactive, case-based lecture to students, residents and faculty. This provides a forum to review core clinical Med Psych topics.
- 3rd Monday of each month: Integrated Med Psych Integrated Learning Session (IMPuLSe)
IMPuLSe is faculty driven and often includes group interviews with patients who have complex medical / psychiatric conditions. Combined residents learn important interview skills, while reviewing how best to provide integrated care to this patient population.
- 4th Monday of each month: Med Psych Residency Administrative Meeting (MPR Admin)
Core IMP faculty and residents meet monthly for “check-in” and to discuss resident-related residency matters.
Integrated Clinical Sites
- Sacramento County Primary Care Center: Integrated Behavioral Health Clinic
- Sacramento County Primary Care Center: Training, Education and Community Health (TEACH)
- UC Davis Internal Medicine – Med Psych Clinic
- UC Davis Pain Psychiatry Clinic
- UC Davis Primary Care Network Coordinated Care
- UC Davis Telepsychiatry
- Psychosomatic Medicine Inpatient Service