PSY 421: Combined medicine/psychiatry elective
- Instructor of record: Lorin Scher, M.D.
- Instructor(s): Jaesu Han, M.D., Robert McCarron, D.O., John Onate, M.D. , Shannon Suo, M.D.
- Course duration: 4 weeks
- Quarters: I, II, III, IV
- Units: 6
- Location: Sacramento Primary Care Clinic
- Distribution of student's time: Clinical 80%, Discussion 20%
- Prerequisites: Psychiatry core clerkship and/or consent of clerkship director
- Course description: Students will rotate through the county Primary Care Clinic under the supervision of dual-boarded psychiatry and internal medicine/family practice faculty to provide medical care for indigent and uninsured patients as well as primary care for psychiatry patients.
- Enhancement modules:
- Clerkship objectives:
- Improve on psychiatric history taking and mental status exam
- Improve on ability to treat acutely mentally ill patients
- Learn to efficiently manage patients in a psychiatric inpatient unit
- Effectively interact within a multidisciplinary treatment team
- Gain exposure and understanding of the diagnosis and management of psychiatric disorders in a primary care setting and in the indigent population.
- Commonly seen conditions:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Mood disorders
- Co-morbid substance abuse disorders
- Anxiety disorders
Elective Course Coordinator
Phone (916) 734-2614
Fax (916) 734-3384