PSY 420: Acting internship in inpatient psychiatry
- Instructor of record: Lorin Scher, M.D.
- Instructor(s): Amy Barnhorst, M.D., Richard Cross, M.D., Jason Roof, M.D.
Course duration: 4-8 weeks
- Quarters: I, II, III, IV
- Units: 6-12
- Location: Sacramento County Mental Health Treatment Center, Sacramento County Jail Psychiatric Unit, Psychiatric Emergency Room
- Distribution of student's time: Inpatient care - 100%
- Prerequisites: Psychiatry core clerkship and/or consent of clerkship director
- Course description: Acting intern position on a progressive and dynamic inpatient unit. Emphasis on biological psychiatry, psychopharmacology and psychodynamic aspects appropriate to diagnosis and management of patients with recurrent depression, bipolar disorder, substance disorders, and schizophrenia chronically mentally ill patients.
- Enhancement modules:
- Clerkship objectives:
- Improve on psychiatric history taking and mental status exam
- Improve on ability to treat acutely mentally ill patients
- Learn to efficiently manage patients in a psychiatric inpatient unit
- Effectively interact within a multidisciplinary treatment team
- Commonly seen conditions:
- Severe major depressive disorder
- Bipolar I disorder
Elective Course Coordinator
Phone (916) 734-2614
Fax (916) 734-3384