PSY 414: Psychosomatic medicine elective
- Instructor of record: Lorin Scher, M.D.
- Instructor(s): Nathan Fairman, M.D., Debra Kahn, M.D., Lorin Scher, M.D.
- Course duration: 4 weeks
- Quarters: I, II, III, IV
- Units: 6
- Location: UC Davis Medical Center
- Distribution of student's time:
- Inpatient care: 80%
- Clinical rounds: 10%
- Conferences/lectures: 10%
- Prerequisites: Psychiatry core clerkship and/or consent of clerkship director
- Course description: A large university hospital service in which the student functions as a member of the team in evaluation, management and psychiatric liaison with other medical specialties. Intensive supervision from senior staff and psychiatric residents.
- Enhancement module:
- Clerkship objectives:
- Gain proficiency in interviewing and treating medically ill patients using the biopsychosocial model.
- Effectively interact with referring services, including refining the consultation question and education of referring teams.
- Appreciate the psychiatric components of medical illness.
- Commonly seen conditions:
- Mood disorders
- Psychotic disorders
- Suicide assessment
- Capacity evaluation
- Substance abuse/dependence/withdrawal
Elective Course Coordinator
Phone (916) 734-2614
Fax (916) 734-3384