Eligibility for autopsy by the UC Davis Health System Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Inpatients at UC Davis Medical Center with appropriate consent and permission from family.
- Individuals who expire outside UC Davis Medical Center may be eligible for a hospital based autopsy if the criteria below are met:
- The decedent has been a patient at UC Davis Medical Center and has an attending physician who has staff privileges at UC Davis Medical Center who can originate the autopsy consent with appropriate consent and permission from the family.
- Outside deaths which are of exceptional interest and education value. Under this category the fee for a complete autopsy is required, with a separate fee for a brain only. The fee should accompany the body to UC Davis Medical Center. Such cases must be approved by the attending pathologist covering autopsy services for that day.
- Restrictions required of the next of kin for the above:
- Payment of transportion costs for the deceased
- Must sign a valid autopsy permission
- Provide a current medical history
- Obtain documentation that the coroners office has relinquished jurisdiction
- The Anatomic Pathology (AP) Administrative Assistant will make transportation arrangements.
- Cases with possible medical-legal considerations should be referred by the autopsy attending pathologist or designated resident to the Sacramento County Coroners Office for review, at (916) 874-9320.
- Coroner's cases will be handled according to local and state law and may not be eligible for an autopsy by the UC Davis Medical Center Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. Questions regarding eligibility should be directed to Decedent Affairs.