Jianmin Xu, M.D., Ph.D.
Southeast University Medical College, Nanjing, JiangSu, China
Baptist Health System, Birmingham, AL
Surgical Pathology Fellowship:
Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN
Watching movies, traveling, spending time with family
Reason for selecting UC Davis for Residency:
UC Davis provides a good training for Hematopathology. Sacramento has friendly atmosphere and a wonderful location.
- Surgical Pathology
- Cancer Research
CV Highlights/Brief Biography:
Board Certified Anatomic and Clinical Pathologist.
- Ph.D. in Pathology at the West China University of Medical Sciences (now incorporated in Sichuan University).
- Five years of research experience in the University of Alabama at Birmingham, participating in projects on soft tissue tumors and dermatopathology.
Publications, Abstracts and/or Posters
Selected peer-reviewed manuscripts:
- Chaudhary SC, Tang X, Arumugam A, Li C, Srivastava RK, Wang Z, Xu J, Zhang X, Kim AL, Mckay K, Elmets CA, Kopelovich L, Bickers DR, Athar M. Shh and p50/Bcl3 signaling crosstalk drives pathogenesis of BCCs in Gorlin syndrome. Oncotarget 2015; 6(34):36789-814. PMID: 26413810
- Srivastava R, Kaylani S, Edrees N, Li C, Palle K, Talwelkar S, Xu J, Pressey J, Athar M. GLI inhibitor GANT-61 diminishes rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS) growth and aggressive tumor phenotype by targeting proliferation and epithelial mesenchymal transition. Oncotarget 2014; 5(23):12151-65. PMID:25432075
- Xu J, Weng Z, Arumugam A, Tang X, Chaudhary SC, Li C, Christiano AM, Elmets CA, Bickers, DR, Athar M. Hair Follicles Disruption Facilitates Pathogenesis to UVB-Induced Cutaneous Inflammation and Basal Cell Carcinoma Development in Ptch+/- Mice. Am J Pathol 2014; 184(5):1529-40. PMID:24631180
- Kaylani SZ, Xu J, Srivastava RK, Kopelovich L, Pressey JG, Athar M. Rapamycin targeting mTOR and hedgehog signaling pathways blocks human rhabdomyosarcoma growth in xenograft murine model. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2013; 435(4):557-61. PMID:23665330
- Arumugam A, Walsh SB, Xu J, Afaq F, Elmets CA, Athar M. Combined inhibition of p38 and Akt signaling pathways abrogates cyclosporine A-mediated pathogenesis of aggressive skin SCCs. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2012; 425(2):177-81. PMID:22820192
- Li C, Xu J, Li F, Chaudhary SC, Weng Z, Wen J, Elmets CA, Ahsan H, Athar M. Unfolded protein response signaling and MAP kinase pathways underlie pathogenesis of arsenic-induced cutaneous inflammation. Cancer Prev Res 2011; 4(12):2101-9. PMID:21911445
- Xu J, Walsh SB, Verney ZM, Kopelovich L, Elmets CA, Athar M. Procarcinogenic Effects of Cyclosporine A are Mediated through the Activation of TAK1/TAB1 Signaling Pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2011; 408(3):363-8. PMID: 21333626
- Walsh SB, Xu J, Xu H, Kurundkar AR, Maheshwari A, Grizzle WE, Timares L, Huang CC, Kopelovich L, Elmets CA, Athar M. Cyclosporine A mediates pathogenesis of aggressive cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma by augmenting epithelial-mesenchymal transition: Role of TGFβ signaling pathway. Mol Carcinog 2011; 50(7):516-27. PMID: 21308804
- Byekova YA, Hermann JL, Xu J, Elmets CA, Athar M. Liver kinase B1 (LKB1) in the pathogenesis of UVB-induced murine basal cell carcinoma. Arch Biochem Biophys 2011, 508(2):204-11. PMID: 21272562
- Xu J, Timares L, Heilpern C, Weng Z, Li C, Xu H, Pressey GJ, Elmets CA, Kopelovich L, Athar M. Targeting wild-type and mutant p53 with small molecule CP-31398 blocks the growth of rhabdomyosarcoma by inducing ROS-dependent apoptosis. Cancer Res 2010, 70(16): 6566-76. PMID: 20682800
- Xu J, Chen Y, Lu R, Cottingham C, Jiao K, Wang Q. PKA phosphorylation of spinophilin modulates its interaction with the а2AAR and alters temporal properties of а2AAR internalization. J Biol Chem 2008, 283(21), 14516-23. PMID: 18367453
- Kim HK, Zhang H, Li H, Wu TT, Swisher S, He D, Wu L, Xu J, Elmets CA, Athar M, Xu XC, Xu H. Slit2 inhibits growth and metastasis of fibrosarcoma and squamous cell carcinoma. Neoplasia 2008, 10(12):1411-20. PMID: 19048120
- Chen Y, Xu J, Jhala N, Pawer P, Zhu ZB, Ma L, Byon CH, McDonald JM. Fas-mediated apoptosis in cholangiocarcinoma cells is enhanced by 3,3’-diindolylmethane through inhibition of AKT signaling and FLIP. Am J Pathol 2006, 169(5): 1833-42. PMID: 17071604
- Xu JM, Wen JM, Zhang M, Lu GL, Wu LZ, Wang WS. A study on gene amplification and expression of cyclin D1 in hepatocellular carcinoma. Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi (Chin J Pathol) 2004, 33(1): 26-30. PMID: 14989924
- Xu J, Giannico G, Clark PE, Hameed O, Gellert L. The Relationship between Tobacco Smoking and Clinicopathologic Features of Bladder Urothelial Carcinoma with Emphasis on Variant Histology. 2017 Annual Meeting of United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (USCAP). San Antonio, Texas, USA. (Poster)
- Xu J, Day S. A correlation analysis of PET scan and mediastinal lymph node biopsy. 2015 Annual Meeting of College of American Pathologist (CAP). Nashville, Tennessee, USA. (Poster)
- Xu J, Parker KM. Expression of HER2/neu in Ductal Carcinoma In Situ and Its Correlation with Clinical Pathological Factors. 2014 Annual Meeting of United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (USCAP). San Diego, California, USA. (Poster)
- Xu J, Parker KM. Significance of Her2/neu status in ductal carcinoma in situ. Trinity Medical Center Cancer Committee Conference, 2013. Birmingham, Alabama. (Oral presentation)
- Xu J, Kopelovich L, Athar M. Hair follicles disruption leads to enhanced UVB-induced cutaneous inflammation and basal cell carcinoma development. 2011 Annual Meeting of American Association for Cancer Research (AACR). Orlando, Florida, USA. (Poster)
- Li C, Xu J, Weng Z, Athar M. Arsenic Induces Unfolded Protein Response Signaling, Inflammation and Tumorigenesis in Murine Skin. 2011 Annual Meeting of American Association for Cancer Research. Orlando, Florida, USA. (Poster)
- Byekova YA, Hermann JL, Xu J, Elmets CA, Athar M. Liver kinase B1 (LKB1) in the pathogenesis of UVB-induced murine basal cell carcinoma. 2011 Annual Meeting of Society for Investigative Dermatology. Phoenix, AZ, USA. (Poster)
- Xu J, Weng Z, Kim H, Li C, Kopelovich L, Christiano AM, Bickers DR, Athar M. Hairless gene confers resistance to nonmelanoma skin cancer development. 2010 Annual Meeting of Society for Investigative Dermatology. Atlanta, GA, USA. (Poster)
- Xu J, Heilpern C, Xu H, Kopelovich L, Athar M. CP-31398 inhibits growth of human rhabdomyosarcoma cells by activating p53-mitochondria-dependant apoptosis. 2009 Annual Meeting of American Association for Cancer Research. Denver, CO, USA. AACR Online Abstracts 2009: 601. (Poster)
- Beatrous SE, Xu J, Xu H, Kurundkar AR, Maheshwari A, Kopelovich L, Elmets CA, Athar M. Cyclosporine A (CsA), an immunosuppressant, transforms squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) to a more invasive phenotype: a non-immunological effect. 2009 Annual Meeting of Society for Investigative Dermatology. Montreal, Quebec, Canada. (Oral presentation & Poster)
- Chen Y, Xu J, Jhala N, Pawer P, Byon CH, McDonald JM. Inhibition of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt signaling promotes Fas-induced apoptosis in cholangiocarcinoma. 2006 Annual Meeting of American Association for Cancer Research. Washington DC, USA. AACR Online Abstracts 2006: 172. (Poster)