Guofeng ‘George’ Gao, M.D.
Resident, PGY 2
Binzhou Medical College, and Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, China
Playing soccer & basketball, and watching baseball
Reason for selecting UC Davis for Residency:
A friendly nurturing environment for resident growth, with excellent dedicated faculty and diverse patient population; plentiful fellowship opportunities; great location with access to nature and neighboring cities
- Hematopathology, Molecular pathology
- Blood bank, Transplant pathology
- stem cell & niche, gene therapy
- GI mucosal Immunology and pathology
CV Highlights / Brief Biography
Inspired by the discovery of the genetic basis of acute promyelocytic leukemia and its very effective treatment (all-trans retinoic acid), Dr. Gao came to US to pursue advanced training in genetics (PhD), and now is pursuing comprehensive training in pathology and laboratory medicine, after extensive research training, junior faculty development program and multiple observership at Shanghai Human Genome Center, Shanghai Ruijin Hospital, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, Geisinger Medical Center and Temple University Hospital.
Publications, Abstracts and/or Posters
Selected peer-reviewed manuscripts:
- Guofeng Gao, MD. PhD, Lee-Way Jin, MD. PhD, and Gregory Youngnam Chang, MD. Rhino-orbito-cerebral mucormycosis mimicking giant-cell arteritis presenting with a sequential blindness. Neurology Asia (submitted).
- Knezevic T, Myers VD, Su F, Wang J, Song J, Zhang XQ, Gao E, Gao G, Muniswamy M, Gupta MK, Gordon J, Weiner KN, Rabinowitz J, Ramsey FV, Tilley DG, Khalili K, Cheung JY, Feldman AM. Adeno-associated Virus Serotype 9 - Driven Expression of BAG3 Improves Left Ventricular Function in Murine Hearts with Left Ventricular Dysfunction Secondary to a Myocardial Infarction. JACC Basic Transl Sci. 2016 Dec;1(7):647-656. doi: 10.1016/j.jacbts.2016.08.008.
- Tadagavadi RK, Gao G, Wang WW, Gonzalez MR, Reeves WB. Dendritic Cell Protection from Cisplatin Nephrotoxicity Is Independent of Neutrophils. Toxins (Basel). 2015 Aug 19;7(8):3245-56. doi: 10.3390/toxins7083245.
- Gao G, Wang W, Tadagavadi R, Briley N, Love M, Miller BA, and Reeves WB. TRPM2 mediates ischemic acute kidney injury and oxidant stress through Rac1. J Clin Invest. 2014 Nov;124(11):4989-5001. doi: 10.1172/JCI76042. [Epub ahead of print] *Highlighted in Nature Reviews Nephrology 10, 674 (2014)
- *Gao G, Zhang B, Ramesh G, Betterly D, Tadagavadi R, Wang W and Reeves WB. TNF-á mediates increased susceptibility to ischemic AKI in diabetes. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2013 Mar;304(5):F515-21. *Corresponding author.
- Yarotskyy V, Gao G, Peterson BZ, Elmslie KS. Domain III regulates N-type (CaV2.2) calcium channel closing kinetics. J Neurophysiol. 2012 Apr;107(7):1942-51.
- Jin Q, Gao G, Mulder KM. Requirement of a dynein light chain in transforming growth factor ß signaling in zebrafish ovarian follicle cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2012 Jan 2; 348(1):233-40.
- Gao G, Ouyang A, Kaufman MP, Yu S. ERK1/2 signaling pathway in mast cell activation-induced sensitization of esophageal nodose C-fiber neurons. Dis Esophagus. 2011 Apr; 24(3):194-203.
- *Gao G, *Yarotskyy V, Du L, Ganapathi SB, Peterson BZ, and Elmslie KS. Roscovitine binds to novel L-channel (CaV1.2) Sites that separately affect Activation and Inactivation. J Biol Chem. 2010 Jan 1; 285(1):43-53. *Co-first author.
- Yarotskyy V, Gao G, Peterson BZ, and Elmslie KS. The Timothy syndrome mutation of cardiac CaV1.2 (L-type) channels: multiple altered gating mechanisms and pharmacological restoration of inactivation. J Physiol. 2009; 587: 551-565.
- Qiao J, Hu RM, Peng YD, Song HD, Peng YW, Gao G, Hao JH, Hu NY, Xu MY, Chen JL.. A complex heterozygous mutation of His373Leu and Asp487-Ser488-Phe489 deletion in human cytochrome P450c17 causes 17alpha-hydroxylase/17,20-lyase deficiency in three Chinese sisters. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2003 Mar 28;201(1-2):189-95.
- Tang Q, Staub CM, Gao G, Jin QY, Ding W, Wang Z, Aurigemma RE, and Mulder KM. A novel TGFâ receptor-interacting protein that is also a light chain of the motor protein dynein. Mol Biol Cell. 2002; 13(12):4484-96.
- Wang WQ, Gao G, Ning G, Wang S, Luo BY. Vitamin2D receptor gene polymorphism and its relationship with bone mineral density in post-menopausal osteoporotic women in Shanghai. Journal of Shanghai Second Medical University 2002;14(1):25-29.
- Hu RM, Han ZG, Song HD, Peng YD, Huang QH, …, Gao G, Rong R, …, Huang GY, Chen Z, Chen MD, Chen JL. Gene expression profiling in the human hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis and full- length cDNA cloning. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97 (17):9543-8.
- Song HD, Peng YD, Hu RM, Huang QH, Wu XY, Zhou J, Ren SX, Gao G, Wang L, Mao YF, Yu YP, Dai M, Xu SH, Fan HY, Shen Y, Fu G, Chen MD, Zhang QH, Chen JL. New full length cDNA cloned from normal pituitary and pituitary tumors. Natl Med J China. 2000 December;80(12);1-3
- Hu RM, Song HD, Peng YD, Huang QH, Zhou J, Wu XY, Ren SX, Gao G, Wang L, Mao YF, Yu YP, Dai M, Xu SH, Fan HY, Shen Y, Fu G, Chen MD, Zhang QH, Chen JL. Study on the gene expression profile and molecular mechanism of pituitary tumors. Acta Universitatis Medicinalis Secondae Shanghai. 2000; Vol. 20(2); 97-101.
- Jin Q, Gao G, and Mulder KM. (2007) Transforming Growth Factor-beta in Cancer Therapy, Vol. 1: Basic and Clinical Biology, 169-184, Humana Press, Totowa, NJ
Selected Posters/Oral presentations:
- Pseudovascular and Spindle Cell Squamous Carcinoma in the Maxillary Sinus - Report of a Rare Entity. CAP17 Meeting (National Harbor, MD), Oct 8-11, 2017
- “A “TRP” to the understanding of ischemic AKI” at Bristol-Myers Squibb (Princeton, New Jersey), Feb 04, 2015.
- “TRPM2 Channels Activate Rac1 and Contribute to Ischemic AKI” at American Society of Nephrology Kidney Week Annual Meeting (San Diego, CA), Nov 1-4, 2012
- “TRPM2 channels mediate hypoxic cell death and contribute to ischemic AKI” at American Society of Nephrology Kidney Week Annual Meeting (Philadelphia, PA), Nov 8-13, 2011.
- AKAP-mediated Phosphorylation of TRPA1 contributes to Mast Cell Activation-induced Sensitization of Esophageal Sensory Afferent Neurons. Digestive Disease Week (New Orleans, LA), May 1-6, 2010.
- TRPA1 in Mast Cell Activation-induced Mechano-hyperexcitability of Vagal Afferent C fibers in Guinea Pig Esophagus: A novel mechanism of visceral peripheral sensitization. Digestive Disease Week (Chicago, IL), May 30-June 4, 2009.