Informatics & Telepathology
Pathology informatics is an interdisciplinary information science discipline primarily concerned with the collection, classification, manipulation, storage, retrieval and dissemination of information to solve problems in pathology.
Our award-winning program was first established in 1995 and has a long history of national and institutional leadership in medical informatics.
The Pathology Informatics Section is UC Davis School of Medicine’s academic home for educational programs leading to certificates and master’s degrees and include innovative on-line courses. The section is also an integral part of the department's residency program. A Pathology Informatics 1-month rotation has been a requirement for our residents since 2006. We also offer 1-year post-doctoral fellowships in Pathology Informatics to selected individuals as funding is available.
Focus Areas and Selected Activities
- Virtual tumor boards
- Telepathology/telecytology consultations
Clinical and Research Data Repositories
- Athena Breast Health Network
- The UC Davis Cancer Care Network and associated data registries
- The UC Davis i2b2 repository and cohort discovery tool
- Biostatistics and computational biology applied to translational research projects including cancer, infectious disease, autism.
- Management of the UC Davis Medical Center Laboratory Information System (LIS)
- Support for investigative cancer therapies
Public Health Informatics
- California Electronic Death Registration System (CA-EDRS)
- California Violent Death Reporting System (VDRS)
- Introduction to Public Health Informatics (MPH210 - Master's of Public Health Program)
For more detailed information on the history of our program, current activities, research projects, presentations materials, and educational content, visit the Pathology Informatics web server.
For information on the UC Davis Health System's Health Informatics Graduate program, visit http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/informatics.
For more information on our Section and its programs, please contact:
Michael Hogarth, M.D.
Director, Section of Pathology Informatics
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
3700 Business Drive, suite 130
Sacramento, CA 95820
phone: (916) 734-1619