Dr. Daniel J. Cates
PGY Level: PGY II
UC Davis Health System
Department Of Otolaryngology
2521 Stockton Blvd., Suite 7200
Sacramento, CA 95817
- B.S. University of California, San Diego. Biology. June 2007
- M.D. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. May 2012
Honors and Awards
- 2012 Ad Hoc Trainee Councilor, Dysphagia Research Society Board of Directors
- 2012 Most outstanding performance in the Surgery Clerkship award
- 2011 Selected to serve as Teaching Assistant for Surgery core clerkship
- 2010 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, junior induction
- 2010 2nd Place, Clinical Vignette Poster Competition, University of Illinois Annual Research Symposium
- Cates D, Plowman E, Mehdizadeh O, Yen K, Domer A, Gilden M, Belafsky P. (2012) The Upper Esophageal Sphincter is Not Round. The Dysphagia Research Society 20th Annual Meeting.
- Leonard R, White C, Mehdizadeh O, Cates D, Belafsky PC. (2011) The Effects of Bolus Rheology on Aspiration and Penetration in Dysphagic Patients. 1st Congress of the European Society of Swallowing Disorders.
- Cates D, Meyer D, Mani A. (2011) Wernicke’s encephalopathy with multiple vitamin deficiencies in a chronic alcoholic. University of Illinois Annual Research Symposium.
- Cates D, Khaliq W, Rasool M, Bahador M, Chaudhry Z, Uzoaru I, Moazemi K, Egner J. (2010) Plasmacytoma of the Bladder: a Rare Cause of Dysuria. University of Illinois Annual Research Symposium.
- Cates D, Johnson V, Hussain A, Moore H. (2010). Inguinal Hernia of the Transverse Colon. University of Illinois Annual Research Symposium.
- Khaliq W, Bahador M, Cates D, Chaudhry Z, Sapiente R, Uzoaru I, Graham D, Moazemi K. (2010) Ewing’s Sarcoma in a 52-year-old Woman with Leg Pain. University of Illinois Annual Research Symposium.
- Khaliq W, Bahador M, Cates D, Musselman M, Uzoaru I, Moazemi K, Egner J. (2010) A Rare Case of Clear Cell Sarcoma in a Young Female. University of Illinois Annual Research Symposium.
- Cates D, Stern H, Kieffer BL, Roberts AJ. Prior disordered eating increases ethanol drinking in an otherwise alcohol avoiding mouse strain. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. June 2008; 218: 1-371A; Vol 32.
- Belafsky PC, Cates DJ. Transnasal esophagoscopy. Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology-Head and
Neck Surgery. 2012; 23(2): 86-91.
- 2011 University of California, Davis, Department of Otolaryngology. Sacramento, CA. Effect of autologous skeletal myoblasts on lingual strength. Sponser: Dr. Peter Belafsky.
- 2011 University of Illinois and Carle Foundation Hospital, Department of Otolaryngology. Urbana-Champaign, IL. Oral and intratympanic steroid therapy for sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Sponsor: Dr. Michael Novak
- 2007-2008 Scripps Research Institute, Molecular and Integrative Neurosciences Department. La Jolla, CA. Mouse behavioral assessment and alcohol and drug self-administration. Sponsor: Dr Amanda Roberts.
- 2007 Head Teaching Assistant, Mammalian Physiology. Department of Biology. University of California, San Diego. Course Director: Dr. George Fortes
• Taught weekly class to about 40 upper-division students, created weekly review worksheet, wrote exam questions for midterm/final.
- 2007 Teaching Assistant, Nutritional Biochemistry. Department of Biology. University of California, San Diego. Course Director: Dr. Nigel Crawford
• Taught weekly recitation sessions to about 20 students, wrote questions for midterm and final exams, and graded student projects
- 2006 Teaching Assistant, Nutrition. Department of Biology.
University of California, San Diego. Course Director: Linda Strause
• Taught weekly recitation sessions to a group of 15 students.
- 2011-2012 Peer Mentor Program, student advisor and co-chair
• Served as mentor for pre-clinical students and helped organize the mentor match
- 2009-2010 University Medical Student Government
• Served as the student representative to the Clinical Affairs and Education Policy committee meetings.
- 2010-2012 Co-Director, HeRMES student-run free clinic, Urbana, IL
• Coordinated biweekly clinics by helping to recruit student volunteers and professional providers from the community. Assisted with clinic budgeting and grant-writing.
- 2009-2012 Volunteer, HeRMES student-run free clinic, Urbana, IL
• Provided physical exams, health screening, and health education to underserved members of the community.
- 2006-2008 Volunteer, Flying Samaritans, Tecate, Mexico
• Helped organize monthly free eye clinic, performed acuity testing, assisted with triage, and administered post-op care.
|Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery|
|2521 Stockton Blvd., Suite 5200
Sacramento, CA 95817
Audiology & Speech Appointments:
Facial Plastic Surgery Appointments:
Reflux Clinic Appointments: