Maternal-Fetal Medicine Divsion Director
Division and Position Description
Division and Position Description
The Department is seeking a faculty member whose focus would be a clinician-educator or clinician-researcher. The ideal candidate will have a depth and breadth of clinical training and experience, including clinical care as a Perinatologist in an academic setting with research or clinical expertise with a distinct focus. The Division needs leadership and expertise in perinatal genetics, ultrasound, and research as well as a fellowship director. Meeting these needs will likely need more than one faculty recruit; a Division Director with the ability to be a strong leader during growth and development is a key first step.
The candidate must have strong skills, experience, and knowledge in educating medical students, residents, and fellows. Research experience with participation in clinical research, cooperative group trials, and translational activities (especially in a collaborative role) is highly desirable. The ideal candidate will have experience and skills in applying evidence-based approaches to ensuring the highest quality of care to all obstetric patients. Additionally, experience in providing care through outreach activities is preferred.
The current Division has six faculty and three fellows. The fellowship was established in 2001, was re-accredited in 2005 and 2008, and had a recent site visit in April 2012.
The residency program is accredited for 6 residents/year along with a 7th resident who is a combined Family Medicine/Obstetrics resident.
The Division provides perinatal consultation services to the UC Davis Health System and the surrounding Northern California region. The clinical practice is based at the UC Davis Medical Center with current contracts for outreach perinatal, genetic and ultrasound services at Redding Hospital (two hours north), Lodi memorial Hospital (45 minutes south) and San Joaquin County Hospital (1 hour south). In 2010-11, the Division saw 707 referrals. The Birthing Center has approximately 2,000 deliveries annually with a cesarean section rate in 2010-11 of 26.7%. The Health System performs approximately 8,300 obstetric ultrasound examinations annually. The Health System and Chair are committed to increasing obstetric volume, especially high risk referrals through improved partnerships, outreach and telemedicine. The new Division Director will be an important part of that plan.
Referrals come from multiple sources: from within the Health System (especially the Dept of OB/GYN), the Sacramento metropolitan area, and the surrounding region (north to the Oregon border, south to Fresno, west to the Bay Area, and east to Lake Tahoe – a catchment region encompassing about 4 - 5 million).
The institution is at the beginning of a renaissance with the Clinical Departments. The Chair of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Dr. Mitchell Creinin, was hired in July 2011 and was the first “new” clinical chair. He was quickly followed by the hiring of Dr. Diana Farmer, a world leader in fetal surgery, as the new Chair of Surgery. Dr. Robin Steinhorn, a world-renowned leader in fetal pulmonary physiology, started as the Chair of Pediatrics in October 2012; the search for a new Director of the Neonatology is currently underway. Accordingly, the candidate will have the potential to be an integral part of Health System leadership during the growth of new innovative programs in neonatal intensive care and fetal intervention.
The UC Davis Medical Center has approximately 550 beds, and is the only academic tertiary medical center in the central California region. The Birthing Center has 15 rooms for labor, delivery and full post-partum recovery. A level III nursery with 49 beds and a brand new PICU are in the recently completed Pavilion, which also includes over 30 new state-of-art operating rooms, plus Intensive Care Units, and Emergency Department. The UC Davis School of Medicine is on campus.
There are innumerable opportunities for both investigator-initiated research as well as collaborations. The fellows are integrated into the research activities and are intimately integrated into faculty projects.
- Associate or Full Professor level in the Regular or Clinical X series, dependent on qualifications
- Required background and qualifications
- MD, DO, or MD, PhD
- Successful completion of fellowship training in maternal-fetal medicine
- Board certification in maternal-fetal medicine
- Ability to provide clinical care that specializes in high risk care for obstetric patients.
- Experience with training fellows, residents and medical students.
- Preferred candidate will have research experience with active research programs.
- Demonstrated success in outreach activities and community development/fundraising programs.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collegially within a diverse environment.
- Ability to adhere to policies and procedures.
- Licensed in the State of California or be eligible for such licensure.
- Criteria specific to the position description
- Individuals with specialized interests in prenatal diagnosis or fellowship program leadership are preferred.
- Direct involvement with students, residents, and fellows in core curriculum and clinical teaching.
- The division currently has individuals who are highly interested in clinical care and a junior faculty on a research path; the candidate is expected to provide mentorship and leadership within clinical and research areas.
- The candidate will be responsible for teaching students, residents and fellows including non-MFM fellows as a research resource within the department.
- Research duties will include basic science and/or clinical research that meet the goals of the department.
- University service on committees and tasks force as assigned.
The candidate must have the ability to work cooperatively and collegially within a diverse environment. Candidate must be able to adhere to policies and procedures. Salary and level of appointment will be based upon experience and qualifications.
The position will remain open until filled through June 30, 2013.
Please reference Search #OB-10R-12 in your correspondence.
A letter of interest and complete curriculum vitae should be e-mailed to email@example.com.
Please reference Search #OB-10R-12 in your correspondence