Third Year Clerkship Students
Dear Clerkship Student,
On behalf of the UC Davis School of Medicine’s Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology faculty, I welcome you to OBGYN 430, the Obstetrics and Gynecology Clerkship.
The Institute of Medicine has stated that “sex and gender matter” in understanding the science and delivery of healthcare. The overall goal of the Obstetrics and Gynecology Clerkship is to help you recognize, understand, and address sex- and gender-related differences as they relate to health of individuals and of populations.
Obstetricians and gynecologists are physicians in a fast-paced surgical specialty who also enjoy providing longitudinal patient care, and we practice in diverse settings. We aim to:
- familiarize you to what the general obstetrician/gynecologist does
- to provide you with a well-rounded, solid experience in general obstetrics and gynecology, on labor and delivery, the operating room and the outpatient setting
- get you exposed to common obstetric and gynecologic procedures
- expose you to the subspecialties, including Reproductive Endocrinology, Gynecologic Oncology, Urogynecology and Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- solidify your sex- and gender-specific medical knowledge, interviewing, and pelvic exam skills.
Students can experience a wide breadth of sites, including UC Davis Medical Center, San Joaquin General Hospital, Kaiser Roseville, Sutter Memorial, and our rural sites including Tahoe Forest, Sutter Amador and Mee Memorial.
We hope that you have an outstanding experience during your clerkship, and in the process gain the knowledge and tools to be able to care for half of the world’s population, which will serve you in whatever specialty you ultimately choose.
Melody Hou, MD MPH, Instructor of Record
Ida Shunk, Clerkship Coordinator