Health Sciences Clinical Professor
Nurse Practitioner Educator CARES
The Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing at UC Davis seeks a doctorally prepared nurse practitioner educator to join the founding faculty at the new nursing school. The successful candidate is expected to engage in clinical teaching, clinical care activities, university and public service and may participate in creative work.
One full-time academic position at the assistant or associate rank in the Health Sciences Clinical Professor Series is available in Sacramento, Calif. Faculty in this series play a key role in the further development of the interdisciplinary and interprofessional curricula.
The Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing is founded on five core attributes:
- Leadership development
- Interprofessional and interdisciplinary education
- Transformative research
- Cultural inclusiveness
- Innovative technology
REQUIREMENTS: The School of Nursing seeks a doctorally prepared nurse practitioner (Ph.D., D.N.P. or Ed.D.) who will serve a dual role as a clinician at Cares Community Health, a community clinic, and as an educator at the School of Nursing.
The sucssessful candidate provides primary care services at the Cares Community Health in downtown Sacramento 80 percent of the time. This role includes direct patient care for the clinic.The candidate also precepts graduate nurse practitioner and physician assistant students from the School of Nursing. The incumbent mentors two students at a time in the clinical setting. This includes overseeing procedures, providing feedback and assisting with training. For the remaining 20 percent of time , the candidate serves as a member of the School of Nursing education team. In this role, the incumbant educates students in small groups, participates in specialty workshops and provides mentoring and professional guidance to students.
The candidate must demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Graduate of a nationally accredited nurse practitioner program that has a minimum of 540 clinical hours.
- Licensed R.N. or be eligible for licensure in the State of California.
- Possess D.E.A. certification or be eligible for certification.
- Possess B.C.L.S. (C.P.R.) certification.
- Eligible for allied staff privileges.
- Demonstrated clinical competence in primary care setting.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the teaching of students and creative teaching experience in an academic institution.
- Excellent communication skills to effectively work with students, staff, faculty, patients and other professional colleagues as an interdisciplinary team member.
- Ability to adhere to university policies and procedures.
- Ability to adhere to all quality and safety activities at Cares Community Health Clinic and the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing.
- Exhibit the highest ethical standards consistent with the nursing profession, the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing and Cares Community Health.
- Ability to serve as a clinical preceptor for nurse practitioner and physician assistant students, providing an integral component of the program.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collegially within the diverse environment of UC Davis.
At times, this position may require the incumbent to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present. Specific hazards of the position may include but are not limited to exposure to patients with infections.
UC Davis is one of the nation’s top public research universities and is part of the world’s preeminent public university system. UC Davis’ academic health center is located on a modern, 140-acre campus in Sacramento, Calif. The Sacramento campus is home to the School of Nursing, School of Medicine, medical center, a fully-accredited children’s hospital, a NCI-designated comprehensive cancer center, a level-I trauma center and burn unit, and a full range of outpatient services. The campus also includes an award-winning education center and library, the California Center for Health and Technology, the NIH-funded Clinical Translational Science Center, the Center for Reducing Health Disparities, and dozens of other clinical, educational and research centers. UC Davis is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of diversity among its faculty, staff, and students.
The Master of Science — Nurse Practitioner and Master of Health Services — Physician Assistant degree programs prepare graduates to deliver care as nurse practitioners or physician assistants. In alignment with the school's vision to advance health, a primary goal of the nurse practitioner and physician assistant programs is to improve the availability of culturally relevant primary care to underserved populations and educate clinicians to deliver care as a member of a health-care team.
CONTACT: Qualified applicants should submit a curriculum vitae, three references and a statement of interest describing how they complement the mission and vision of the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing. Click here to submit applications.
For questions or inquiries, please contact Lisa Reevesman via email at firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the Nurse Practitioner Educator Search IN-11R-14N or via regular mail to Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing at UC Davis, 4610 X St., Suite 4202, Sacramento, CA 95817, Attention: Lisa Reevesman.
CLOSING DATE: For full consideration please submit your application by March 15, 2014. Position will remain open until filled, but no later than December 31, 2014.