Technical standards required for UC Davis Master of Science — Nurse Practitioner Track Degree Program Students*
- Candidates must be able to observe and participate in all demonstrations and experiments in the basic sciences, including computer-assisted instruction.
- Candidates must be able to learn to analyze, synthesize, solve problems and reach diagnostic and therapeutic judgments.
- Candidates must have sufficient use of the senses of vision, hearing and smell necessary to directly perform a physical examination.
- Candidates must be able to meet all physical requirements of clinical rotations.
- Candidates must be able to perform inspection, palpation, auscultation and percussion.
- Candidates must be able to relate reasonably to patients and establish a sensitive, professional and effective relationship with patients.
- Candidates are expected to be able to communicate the results of the examination to the patient and to their colleagues with accuracy, clarity and efficiency.
- Candidates are expected to possess the ability to work collaboratively with all members of an interprofessional, health care team.
- Candidates are expected to be able to learn and perform routine laboratory tests and diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
- Candidates are expected to be able to display good judgment in the assessment and treatment of patients. In addition, the candidate must be able to learn and demonstrate the ability to recognize limitations in their knowledge, skills and abilities and to seek appropriate assistance with their identified limitations.
- Candidates must be able to learn to respond with precise, quick and appropriate action in emergency situations.
- Candidates are expected to be able to accept constructive criticism and adopt appropriate modifications in their behavior.
- Nurse practitioner students are expected to possess the perseverance, diligence and consistency to complete the curriculum and enter into advanced practice nursing as a certified and licensed family nurse practitioner.
* Reasonable accommodations are made for persons with disabilities. Accommodations can only be made to the extent of role responsibility and achievement of technical standards. More specific information is available upon request.