Curriculum of the Mentoring Academy
Our goal is to provide opportunities to develop superior mentoring skills in research, clinical, teaching, and/or leadership activities.
The Mentoring Academy serves as an integration unit linking the mentoring community and Faculty Development Office. The curriculum is offered on a regular basis and specialty workshops offered on an as-requested basis.
- Aligning Expectations, Developing Contracts
- Maintaining Effective Communication, Delivering Feedback, Assessing Understanding
- Understanding Faculty Series and Titles; Promotion Portfolios
- Addressing Diversity and Inclusion
- Promoting Professional Development and Fostering Independence
- Specific subcomponents emphasize research mentoring, clinical mentoring, education/teaching mentoring, and leadership mentoring
- Each module is a mix of didactic and experiential/case-based exchanges
- Must complete two 1-hr modules
- Mentors are strongly encouraged to return for participation in additional modules
- Must complete all five 1-hr modules
- Advanced, intense curriculum participation is designed to build core competencies for working in general mentor-mentee relationships
- Mentors have the opportunity to share best practices in mentoring during the sessions
Workshops address broad issues relevant to the UC Davis schools of health faculty and for faculty advancement that may extend beyond material covered in Mentoring Academy modules.
- Designed collaboratively between the Mentoring Academy and Faculty Development Office
- Offered in collaboration with departments
- Cultural competencies and LGBT
- Generational differences
- Leadership training
- How to give effective feedback
- Establishing cross-department alliances