A smoke-free campus
Improving health and maintaining a healing environment has always been the top priority for UC Davis Health. It's the key reason why we established a completely smoke- and tobacco-free campus in 2008 and expanded it to other health system properties soon thereafter.
Today, smoking and all tobacco products are prohibited in outdoor areas, including parking lots and sidewalks, surrounding UC Davis Medical Center and other UC Davis Health facilities. A similar tobacco ban is in place throughout the entire University of California system.
Electronic smoking devices also prohibited
The use of electronic smoking devices is also prohibited. Electronic cigarettes are considered disruptive because people do not always readily distinguish the devices from normal cigarettes.
Helping people quit smoking
There is significant support available to help those trying to quit smoking. UC Davis Health offers a variety of smoking-cessation options so that employees and patients have all they need to kick the habit. For more information, call our smoking cessation experts at 916-734-0718.
Free nicotine lozenges
In addition, visitors and staff have free nicotine-replacement options while on the Sacramento campus to help them avoid the need to smoke (patients need to check with their provider for nicotine-replacement options). Lozenges can be obtained at our hospital’s gift shop and cafeteria, as well as the information desks at the nearby Ellison Ambulatory Care Center and at the UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Second-hand smoke harms health
Any tobacco smoke — including second-hand smoke — carries a health hazard for which there is no risk-free level of exposure. Although the health system had a long-standing no-smoking policy in and around its buildings, creating an entirely smoke- and tobacco-free zone provides employees, patients, visitors, volunteers and students with the extra health protection they deserve.
UC Davis resources
- Tobacco- and Smoke-free resources (handout)
- Recursos Tabaco y libres de humo (en español)
- Patients and visitors have access to free nicotine lozenges at the Medical Center gift shop and cafeteria, and the information desks at the Lawrence J. Ellison Ambulatory Care Center and UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Tips to stop smoking from UC Davis specialists.
- UC Davis Health stop smoking classesare available to UC Davis patients and community members through our Wellness Center, and to patients through the Health Management and Education program.
- Profile: Med center employee quits smoking after 30 years.
- Smoking cessation push at UC goes high tech
- Smoke-free campus map (PDF). As a courtesy to our neighbors, please do not smoke in residential or commercial areas around the campus. Thanks for your cooperation and respect!
- Call the California Smokers' Helpline at (800) NO-BUTTS. Available en Español and several other languages and dialects, and TDD/TYY.
- Read the American Cancer Society Guide to Quitting Smoking.
- Visit the American Lung Association Quit Smoking page.
- Ask for Breathe California cessation resources at (916) 444-5900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit the National Cancer Institute Smoking and Cancer page.