About SJV PRIME
The UC Merced San Joaquin Valley Program in Medical Education (SJV PRIME) is an innovative approach to training future physicians, a pathway that will emphasize quality of care anchored in community-based research and educational experiences. The diversity of the San Joaquin Valley, including health systems, diverse patient populations and broad community partnerships, is a core component of the effort to improve the health and health care of the region.
The new program is a collaboration between the UC Davis School of Medicine, UC Merced and UCSF Fresno, to train the next generation of San Joaquin Valley physicians. It is the latest addition to the University of California’s innovative Programs in Medical Education (PRIMEs), which seek to increase the diversity of the medical profession and remedy the uneven distribution of physicians in California.
The SJV PRIME is a special track at the UC Davis School of Medicine for medical students who are committed to ensuring high quality, diverse and well distributed medical care to improve health for populations, communities, and individuals in California’s San Joaquin Valley.
Students interested in gaining knowledge and expertise in caring for populations in the San Joaquin Valley are encouraged to apply for SJV PRIME regardless of their eventual specialty choice. Applicants to the SJV PRIME program must meet all of the requirements of the UC Davis School of Medicine and should apply through the regular UC Davis School of Medicine admissions process. Applicants who are invited to complete the UC Davis Secondary Application will be offered an opportunity to express interest in the SJV PRIME.
- Attract medical students from diverse backgrounds who have a strong interest in practicing in California’s San Joaquin Valley.
- Provide an experience that leverages community-academic collaboration to improve the health of populations.
- Increase the number of UC Davis School of Medicine graduates who are leaders in the provision of high quality, equitable healthcare services.
- UC Davis Summer Pre-Matriculation Program
- Community Engagement Program - a shared curriculum between UC Davis School of Medicine, UC Merced, UCSF Fresno and community agencies facilitating dialog on diversity, quality and population health.
- Early longitudinal clinical experiences at local community clinics.
- PRIME Core Seminar Series - regularly scheduled noon seminars held in conjunction with the Rural PRIME Program.
- Clinical clerkships and electives in the San Joaquin Valley during Medical School years 3 and 4.
- Optional fifth year of study to pursue a master's degree.
- A formal mentorship program.
Program impact on the San Joaquin Valley
- Strengthen the desire for new physicians to practice in the Valley – one of California’s most medically underserved areas
- Reduce disparities and inequalities related to the health care in the Valley
- Improve the health status of Valley residents
- Form lasting relationships with communities, hospitals, clinics and physicians to enhance health care in the region
Strengths of a joint UC Merced, UCSF-Fresno and UC Davis Medical School program
- Utilizes outstanding community support and leadership in the San Joaquin Valley
- Leverages the UC Davis School of Medicine Rural-PRIME, UC Davis Center for Health and Technology and other UC Davis rural initiatives
- Recruits and trains medical student applicants from the Valley who are likely to stay in the Valley to practice
- Draws upon the expertise of University of California medical education programs and clinical training sites in the Valley
- Builds on the University of California’s history and commitment to serving California’s residents
"San Joaquin Valley residents have long suffered from inadequate healthcare services and poor health outcomes. Having a specialized medical education and training program that focuses on meeting the Valley’s health care needs represents a big step forward for an entire region." UC Davis medical student from Visalia
Paty M. Gonzalez
Program Coordinator, UC Merced San Joaquin Valley PRIME
Phone: 916-734-0276 Email: email@example.com