Admissions To apply to the ACE-PC pathway, students must first be accepted into the four-year M.D. program and planning a career in primary care Internal Medicine or Family Medicine. ACE-PC students will be simultaneously interviewed for a conditional acceptance into the Kaiser Permanente Santa Clara or UC Davis Primary Care Internal Medicine Residency Program.
The first ACE-PC cohort of 6 students will begin their studies at UC Davis School of Medicine on June 16, 2014.
To recruit the most highly qualified students, we have secured scholarships for students from educationally and/or socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds, based on a holistic assessment that incorporates academic accomplishments, cultural competency, and a commitment to practice adult primary care in underserved areas throughout Northern California.
Preference will be given to those students who meet the following criteria:
- Fluency in a second language in addition to English
- First-in-family to complete a bachelor’s degree
- Clinical experience in a primary care setting
- Demonstrated community health or leadership experience
- Completed high school in a Northern California county served by Kaiser Permanente: Contra Costa, Sacramento, Santa Clara, San Joaquin, Solano, and Stanislaus.
In 2015, we hope to include students with interests in other primary care fields such as pediatrics and family medicine. If successful, we will eventually expand the approach to non-primary care careers including psychiatry and general surgery.
Information on how to apply to the four-year program can be found at the UC Davis School of Medicine Admission home page http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/admissions/index.html.