Medical Interpreting Services at UC Davis Medical Center was established in 1985 as part of a Community Advisory Board’s study initiated by the UC Davis Medical Center. Today, we provide interpreting services in 16 languages, including American Sign Language, as well as written translation services in five languages.
Our mission is to provide clients with a full-range of language-related services of the highest quality and utility, in the most user-friendly manner and at the lowest cost consistent with good value. We are dedicated to enhancing access to healthcare services for our linguistically and culturally diverse patient population through professional medical interpretation, translation services and cross-cultural communication.
- To provide quality interpretation services between the medical center staff and limited-English speaking patients and their families;
- To enhance and advocate cultural awareness and use of interpreters among healthcare providers and the general public;
- To adhere to principles of access and equity;
- To recognize and promote the diversity of the non-English-speaking community groups and their needs;
- To effectively bridge communication gaps between healthcare professionals and non-English-speaking community groups.