Instructions for liver biopsy
Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your appointment for registration. If you are unable to keep your appointment, you must cancel at least 48 hours in advance or you will be referred back to your primary care physician.
PLEASE FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY AND COMPLETELY:
- You may take your blood pressure and heart medicines as usual the morning of the procedure with a sip of water.
- If you are diabetic and using insulin or are taking oral diabetic medications, contact your primary care doctor for instructions on adjusting these medications for the day of your procedure.
- If you take medicine to thin your blood (Heparin, Coumadin, Plavix, Warfarin) your primary care doctor for instructions on adjusting these medications for the day of your procedure.
- DO NOT take ibuprofin (Motrin), Advil, Aleve, Naprosyn, aspirin or medications containing aspirin or NSAIDs (Vioxx, Celebrex) for 5 days prior to your procedure.
- DO NOT eat or drink anything after midnight the night before the procedure.
- DO NOT engage in any strenuous activity 3 days after your procedure.
YOU MAY NOT DRIVE YOURSELF HOME OR RETURN TO WORK THE DAY OF YOUR PROCEDURE. SOMEONE MUST ACCOMPANY YOU TO AND FROM THE PROCEDURE.
If you have any questions, please call the GI office at (916) 734-2890, Monday - Friday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. After hours, call (916) 734-2011 and ask for the GI Fellow on-call.