How to Apply to Our Residency Program
All applicants must apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) and register for the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). The deadline for receipt of all application materials is November 1st.
Application Materials: All application materials must be received through ERAS (no paper application materials, including C.V.s, will be accepted).
- Application (Electronic Residency Application Service - ERAS)
- 3 or more letters of recommendation (1 letter must be from the Chair of Medicine at your medical school (or Chair's designate)
- Dean's letter
- Medical School Transcripts
- USMLE Scores (Parts I and II, if available)
- Personal statement
All applications are screened by our Selection Committee. Committee members are faculty of the Department of Internal Medicine. We generally do not review applications until after the release of the Dean's Letter on October 1st. Interviews will be scheduled between November and January, but not between the week of Christmas and New Year's.
Information for International Medical Graduates or Non-US Citizens
Thank you for your interest in the Internal Medicine Residency Training Program at the University of California, Davis, Medical Center. The Internal Medicine Training Program at UCDMC is highly competitive. Most of the current group of houseofficers ranked in the top third of their medical school class. Please be aware that competition for the limited number of residency positions is extremely intense. We advise you of this so that you will consider all of the information given to you before applying to the program.
The Internal Medicine Residency Program will only sponsor J1 Visas. Requirements for consideration of international medical graduates applying for postgraduate training in internal medicine also include:
- Application (Electronic Residency Application Services - ERAS), including curriculum vitae and personal statement
- Completion of prescribed course of study in an approved medical school in the past 5 years
- Valid ECFMG certificate (passing both medical and English sections)
- PTAL (Postgraduate Training Authorization Letter) from the California Medical Board
- We understand that the California Medical Board takes time to process the PTAL and in doing so we will accept the receipt that the CA Medical Board provides you as proof of your pending PTAL during the application review process. However, should you be granted an interview you must have your PTAL fully uploaded into ERAS prior to the ranking deadline in order to be considered for our rank list.
- Passage of approved examination(s) (FLEX, USMLE)
- *Evaluation/authorization letter from the Medical Board of California (must be dated within one year of application)
- Legal right to remain and work in the United States
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Dean's letter
- Copy of medical school transcripts
- Written examination scores, on whichever standardized examination the candidate takes acceptable to the State of California.
- Experience in an American hospital, with clinical exposure. (Pure research in a laboratory of an American Hospital is not acceptable).
*PLEASE NOTE: Due to on-going changes in the approved examinations for international medical graduates to qualify for a residency position, this letter from the Medical Board of California is mandatory! It is imperative that you obtain this letter as soon as possible, or your application cannot be reviewed. You may reach the Medical Board of California at 916-263-2382; address is 2005 Evergreen St., #1200, Sacramento, CA 95815, or http://www.mbc.ca.gov/.
If you are able to meet all of the above requirements, you will be considered for an interview invitation by the Internship Selection Committee on a competitive basis with graduates of US medical schools. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Entry level positions are appointed only through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).