Medical Education Track
The future of academic medicine relies on strong teachers and leaders. There are few places where a resident can gain formal education and practice in learning theory, effective teaching and feedback techniques, presentation expertise and leadership skills. The Internal Medicine Residency program offers a one year Medical Education Track geared toward mastering these skills as you gain valuable experience as teachers.
Residents in the Medical Education Track will meet regularly with top clinician-educators to learn key teaching skills. Those who have completed the track and who have gone on to jobs or fellowships uniformly state that their potential new employers highly regarded this experience.
Key activities include:
- Attending monthly seminars on topics such as learning climate, teaching at the bedside, giving feedback, conflict resolution, teaching in large and small groups, and mentoring.
- Meeting with an assigned Medical Education Mentor who will guide you through the track activities and support you throughout your education.
- Receiving top priority for taking the Master Clinician Educator Elective.
We expect residents to apply these new skills in real teaching situations.
Medical Education Track residents are required to do the following activities:
- Precept 2 second year medical students in the Doctoring 2 course. You will meet with your students 4-6 times per year and observe them perform an H&P, review their written work, and give them feedback on their performance.
- Deliver a lecture in either small group format to medical students or interns or large group format to residents where you will be observed and provided with direct feedback.
- Teach at the bedside where you will be observed and provided with direct feedback.
- Observe a master clinical educator and reflect on the teaching skills they utilize.
Licensed residents may also choose to practice their skills by serving as teaching attendings for students in the UC Davis School of Medicine Student-Run Clinics.
The Medical Education Track is offered to second and third year residents. Interested residents will sign up for the track in the second half of their internship or PGY-2 year.