Integrating Medicine into Basic Science
HHMI IMBS Curriculum
- Clinical Medicine-Basic Science Learning Groups, a core feature of the IMBS, whereby small groups of IMBS trainees, alumni and mentors will form new translational research teams.
- Integrating Medicine into Basic Science (CLH 250), a five-week IMBS summer institute to acculturate scholars to the clinical environment, integrate medical principles into their research, and highlight high-impact clinical studies.
- Congestive Heart Failure, Mechanism of Disease (CLH 230), designed to introduce the mechanisms of disease as related to cardiovascular health.
- Clinical Clerkships, shadowing 3rd-year medical student through rounds.
- Patient Management Conferences, clinically oriented, interdisciplinary, case-based conferences providing practice-based learning and guidance on practical issues arising during patient care, integrating patient care, stimulating communication, reviewing standards of care.
- Workshops, including presentation of research, leadership, bioethics, career development, responsible conduct of research, academic-industry partnership.
- NIH K30 MCRTP courses. These courses can provide the added value of IMBS scholars networking with junior clinical faculty and fellows.
- Clinical Rotations. Scholars will train shoulder-to-shoulder with med students and residents/fellows in a designated set of clinical venues relevant to their research.
- Seminar Series (CLH 290A, 1 unit). Presentation of landmark papers
in vascular medicine and research plus discussions.
- Research Facility Field Trips.
- Kick-Off and Year-End Retreats to foster interactions and track progress.
- Social events to build social relationships and encourage interactions.